You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-5-2015 16:37:56  #1

Typewriter Spotting in Public

I should have made photos to accompany this. Maybe next time. But today I visited just two thrift/antique stores in my town, ones I haven't visited in maybe a month or more, and between them both I spotted nine manual typewriters. That's a personal record of sorts.

One store had four machines, including an Olivetti Underwood 21 in its case (I already have one of those), several Smith-Coronas similar to the Galaxy line, and a Royal Quiet Deluxe. The other store had five, including an old Royal portable, in its case, that had obviously sat in a home where a humidifier had ran constantly, as all the nickel chrome parts were caked in white mineral residue, and the ribbon vibrator didn't work, along with several more mid-20th century Smith-Coronas.

It was very tempting to me. Nothing in the selection I don't have something similar of in my collection, but a number of good machines nonetheless.

So, how about you? Tell is about your recent typewriter sightings. And photos, if you have them.

~Joe

19-5-2015 17:09:41  #2

Re: Typewriter Spotting in Public

About a month ago, I went to my antique shop and saw two typewriters. One a very excellent condition Oliver 9 (Which I bought for $60) that works, and one was a remington standard 10 that had a worn paper plate (It had bare metal, big blotchy spots), the space bar was wood color from wear, and did not work at all. The carriage was locked. I think it was $40.

A picture of the Oliver is my profile picture.

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (19-5-2015 17:10:10)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera