You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2015 07:26:05  #1

1953 R.C.Allen...to buy or not to buy, aye there's the rub.

Youngest brother Willem and I were out hunting typewriters on Saturday and found an R.C.Allen, green-ish in pretty good condition. Model "600" with a serial number dating it to 1953. Needs cleaning, dusting, new ribbon and spools, the usual. I had never heard of R.C.Allen typewriters but apparently they were the successors to the old Woodstock Company. Yes? This machine is very sturdy and heavy.

The dealer won't go lower than $40.00. We begged, we pleaded, we pretended we were impoverished students, we shed tears and rent our garments, but the dealer was adament.

We left a $5.00 deposit and the dealer promised to hold it until this coming Saturday.

What are your thoughts? Worth buying?

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

01-6-2015 20:38:35  #2

Re: 1953 R.C.Allen...to buy or not to buy, aye there's the rub.

For $40, I'd go for it. If all it needs is a little TLC, then by all means go ahead. Granted $40 is a bit too much, but I've never seen an RC Allen before. However, if there is something mechanicaly wrong with it, then think about it. Ask yourself "am I willing to put in the extra hours for a stupid typewriter?" If your answer is yes, then congrats! You're one of us! But be prepared for the worst just incase something comes up.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera