You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-6-2015 20:32:54  #21

Re: Advantages of a Standard, Full Sized Typewriter Over Portables???

TypewriterGuy wrote:

That typewriter was somewhere, while you were a kid, teenager, adult, so on. That typewriter was sitting (probably) in a bsement, or an attic.

I think about it all the time. When ever I can, I try to find out more about the typewriters I get. There are just a few I know the full history of, and two of them I sold. One of my favorite stories is about my Royal KMG. I did some research, and I'm pretty sure it was used in the 60's by a secretary in my high school (I actually found it in a prop closet back in November). If I don't know the history, then I make it up. Like my Royal 10, I think it was used by a reporter up in Connecticut who liked to drink hard alcohol and swear a lot. But sold it when he was drafted for WWII to a small bank for quick cash. They used it up until the 50's when they got a shiny new Royal FP and then stuffed it in a closet until 2005 when a picker found it. He then tried to sell that thing for 10 years (he charged $55, and in the condition it was in, it wasn't worth anyone's time) at a flea market until I came along and decided it must be saved for $40.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

02-6-2015 05:02:02  #22

Heres the only storys I know that are real:

Remington Standard 10- No idea who it was used by, but was found in a barn in New York. Then brought to New Hampshire and put on display in a grocery store (Mustve been... Quite a store!). Then the owner brought it to her house and stuffed it in the basement. Until I came along...

Underwood Standard 5- Bought from a used typewriter store in the 40s (Im guessing from the stickers). This guys wife used it to learn to type in high school. Then she left it in the basement. Until I came... Again...

Olivetti Lettera 32- A guys uncle used it. Thats. About. All.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

02-6-2015 13:01:53  #23

Hey, we could totally make a thread for typewriter backstories. I think that would be fun.

Board footera