You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-5-2015 13:12:59  #41

Re: Best laugh in typewriter ads

KatLondon wrote:

Okay, guys, calm down! For one thing, this is a fake. Paul Auster's tyewriter is an SM9 and is VERY well-documented, as there is a book about it. 

It's not a fake, it's just an SM7 with Austor's autograph on it - as the auction title states. There was no claim that the machine was owned or used by the author, which is the reason why the price is so ridiculous and why I posted it here. Of course typewriters used by well-known authors would command some sort of a premium when sold, but that's not what's being discussed here.

KatLondon wrote:

With the best will, I doubt there is anyone else on this board who has a public profile like Paul Auster's. 

And? The point is that others here hadn't heard of him, and I only knew the name because it sometimes comes up in association with the SM9. There are many far more famous authors in the world, and countless others who aren't household names, and I'd be surprised if any of them signed a typewriter that it would change the value of the machine from $50 to $10,000. I've autographed a few things in my life, and if anything reduced the value of the item I signed, but maybe that's probably because I don't have the public profile of Paul Auster. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-5-2015 14:07:58  #42

Yeah, sorry. I guess I got it all wrong. I can't see anything where it says the machine was or wasn't owned by anyone though. Fwiw I thought the listing was stupid.

Last edited by KatLondon (23-5-2015 14:13:19)

23-5-2015 16:21:20  #43

On the original listing it says in the description.  Took me forever to find it.  I forgot Uwe was in Canada.

24-5-2015 08:51:00  #44

And KatLondon I'd also like to tell you that page you linked was in spanish not in italian, looks like there was some confusion

24-5-2015 12:59:18  #45

Ah, right, I was doing it quickly. Sorry about that. Glad we've got it all sorted out. 

Last edited by KatLondon (24-5-2015 13:00:37)

04-6-2015 09:51:43  #46

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reduced-Military-Green-LC-Smith-Corona-Silent-8-11-Typewriter-Army-WW-II-READ-/121666311405?

Oh, you'll LOVE this one!  This dealer apparently thinks the ribbon color indicator is a WWII European occupation medal. Won by the typewriter for valorous service typing requisitions?

"A recent estate sale find. A World War II typewriter. This is the real deal 100% authentic and genuine. It bears a World War II occupation ribbon on the front of the typewriter. I believe this ribbon relates to the US's involvement in Europe and Germany. Genuine World War II memorabilia like this that is authentic is getting harder and harder to find. Just needs cleaned up a bit and likely a new ribbon as the ribbon is original. I have left the typewriter exactly like I found it, the estate had numerous high-quality items. "

Would some member of this group more knowledgeable than I am PLEASE send an eBay message to this person? And post a copy here? I don't know much about eBay but I would think there must be some way of forcing sellers to be honest in listing products. Or is it totally a caveat emptor sort of place?

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

04-6-2015 09:55:37  #47

"Don't worry about my low feedback, rest assured I have been selling on eBay for a number of years and recently have started to sell enough items that I needed a second ID. I promise a smooth and pleasant transaction and your item will be expertly packaged for shipment."

Hmmm, seems legit.

Last edited by JustAnotherGuy (04-6-2015 10:01:36)

04-6-2015 10:15:10  #48

bwah!  Too funny. At least he is not expecting $1000+ for the color selector/occupation ribbon.

04-6-2015 10:19:05  #49

I sent him a message, but I'll be surprised if he changes the information in his auction, which incidentally is ridiculous AND absolutely hilarious.  

Will someone buy it? Unfortunately, there are those who will believe his description because like the seller they just don't know any better. On the bright side, at least they won't be ripped off; it's more than I would pay for that model, but when the buyer eventually finds out that it isn't a war relic at least they'll still own a nice standard that they didn't pay a premium for its bogus history.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-6-2015 10:21:34  #50

Oh, I sent him a message also.

Board footera