You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2015 17:51:24  #191

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Ahh, lovely! I love a kid with a typewriter. Both very pretty ;) 

03-6-2015 19:53:57  #192

Both the typewriter and typist are pretty sweet.  Wonderful transfer station find!

03-6-2015 19:58:06  #193

Thanks!  He (yes, he.  We can't bring ourselves to cut his hair), loves typing on it, despite not knowing how to spell yet. 

I've tried a number of different old-tech things to try to get them interested in over the years; record players, shortwave radios, telescopes, etc. So far, the typewriter and target shooting with air rifles have been the two biggest hits.

04-6-2015 10:24:57  #194

Seamus, you really need to stop feeding the boy cuteness pills.

Rick

"I'll wrestle you for that typewriter."

04-6-2015 11:45:38  #195

The Cabin Boy wrote:

Seamus, you really need to stop feeding the boy cuteness pills.

His cuteness is what saves him.  He's in the midst of the terrible 3's.   

06-6-2015 14:25:03  #196

Just got a Remington Rand 5 portable yesterday.  Any idea where I might find a serial number on it?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-6-2015 15:36:34  #197

The portable 1 & 2s I own have the serial number on the frame under the carriage at the right hand side, and my De Luxe model 5 has the number on the front panel of body shell, visible behind the keys, on the right.

06-6-2015 16:40:20  #198

Thanks! I was able to locate it behind the keys on the right.  It is a 1935 Remington Rand Portable #5 Streamline, S/N V828478.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

06-6-2015 19:26:40  #199

Excellent find Moderator.  You were lucky.  The Brother looks great New Typer.  I went to two estate sales, a flea market and an antique shop today with no luck.  The Antique shop had a 1938 Royal KMM that looked it rough shape, the keys were very sticky and it looked like it needed a major overhaul.  It was extremely dirty.  They were asking $80.  I just bought recently a 1937 Royal KHM in great condition, no sticky keys and need very little cleaning for $50.  I didn't need another Standard, it had the magin margins on it, and I didn't have the room.

Key Puncher you should be able to post pictures if you create a web page, for example, Wordpress.  You can have a free web page, I'm not sure how much space you get, you can always upgrade.  Insert your photos there and then right click on the photo from your website and past them into your post on Typewriter Talk.  Don't ask me how I figured it out.  But I had created a website so my friends could easily see my typewriters.  I didn't want to spend any money on a website, and found Wordpress offers free space and there are a few others.

You can never have too many typewriters.

09-6-2015 12:09:11  #200

Hey, when people find out you collect typewriters, they really do start throwing them your way.  I was out on my front porch attempting to over-ink a ribbon for my large type smith corona when my neighbor showed up to chat.  She thought I was kind of bonkers, but about 30 minutes later knocked on the door with a typewriter case in hand. 

It's nothing too special really, a Penncrest Caravelle 12. The manual says J.C. Penny, and it looks like a Smith Corona, so I'm guessing it's a rebranded Classic 12 (EDIT: looks like it's a Galaxy 12, not Classic). Anyway, it seems to be in good shape and is a lovely late 60s early 70s turquoise.  So nice of my neighbor!

Last edited by Spazmelda (09-6-2015 13:44:38)

Board footera