You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-5-2015 16:37:35  #11

Re: Underwood No. 4 or No. 5?

I sure will ztyper and I think the local hobby store also has something called Decal Fix?

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/painting-weathering/decals/apply-waterslide-decals/

Last edited by Rilhardr (26-5-2015 16:39:20)

~ Repairing my Underwood Standard No. 5E ~
                   and learning as I go!

01-6-2015 04:57:43  #12

Decals not here as yet but I ordered some decal fixer to help them apply better to my Underwood.
Many modelers apply a thin coat of varnish over the decals to help protect them.
Is this a good idea on my Underwood?

and learning as I go!

01-6-2015 09:39:01  #13

Rilhardr wrote:

Many modelers apply a thin coat of varnish over the decals to help protect them.

The proper technique is to apply an acrylic clear coat to the decal before you apply it to the machine. I'm surprised that the seller hasn't already done this.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-6-2015 12:17:29  #14

Decals went on very well with just a few small mistakes with some decals on the sides.

Decal vendor suggests Testors Aerosol Lacquer to protect decals once they have been applied?

Shift key works but then sticks and carriage then needs to be pushed down by hand ~ Suggestions?

Last edited by Rilhardr (02-6-2015 12:19:21)

and learning as I go!

02-6-2015 16:13:03  #15

Rilhardr wrote:

Decal vendor suggests Testors Aerosol Lacquer to protect decals once they have been applied?

Clearly you've already applied the decals, so there isn't much choice now. I would have - as I previously suggested - applied the clear coat beforehand. Testors is a brand name associated with plastic model kits, and sealing decals on a model airplane after they've been applied is probably common practice, but a typewriter is a different story.

Rilhardr wrote:

Shift key works but then sticks and carriage then needs to be pushed down by hand ~ Suggestions?

Most likely rust. More cleaning and penetrating oil in the pivot and slide points.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-6-2015 17:48:41  #16

@Uwe I remember reading the description of the decals he bought. The seller applied something on the back, some sort of coating or paper or something. 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

03-6-2015 11:27:00  #17

Rilhardr wrote:

Decals went on very well with just a few small mistakes with some decals on the sides.

Your Underwood is coming along well! One thing: it appears to be missing the rubber feet that fit on the bottom of the machine that prevent it from scratching the table.

03-6-2015 12:09:30  #18

Your Underwood's transformation is amazing - I just went to the first message in this thread and checked out the "before" picture.

04-6-2015 09:02:12  #19

I gave my new Underwood decals three (3) coats of Testors as recommended by the decal vendor.

Very happy with the look and should protect the decals as I use the machine in the field.

and learning as I go!

04-6-2015 15:25:29  #20

Now youve gotta change your profile pic...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera