You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

02-6-2015 14:46:20  #21

Re: The Royal 440 Beast

Mechanic's Adjustment Manual

02-6-2015 16:24:37  #22

I've never come across a Model 101 in my area (Toronto). Given it was manufactured in the Netherlands, and the news publication you posted is from England, was this model distributed exclusively in Europe? Or perhaps it was just not a very popular model? It's unfortunate that I'm now aware of it as I'll need to find one to fill the new gap in my collection between the FP and Empress models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

03-6-2015 14:24:11  #23

The 101 was built in the same factory as the FP sold in Eruope.
I remember while the factory was tooling up for the 101 we had FPs built in Canada.
The FPs from Cannada were built from diferant materials, the Key Levers were black and not chrome plated.
The touch was also lighter and was a better machine then the one built in Holand.
The 101 was not a good machine to work on for mechanics and 'tinny' to type on.
I think you will only obtain one from Europe or UK.

03-6-2015 14:45:50  #24

Great information and I'm recording it all for future reference. I have three FP models (they are fantastic machines) manufactured in subsequent years ('57, '58, and '59) and have noted a few subtle changes that were made to them during their production history. However, as you stated, all of them do feature black key levers. It's great to have you contributing to the forum!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-6-2015 11:22:12  #25

Some Notes on Royal FP
In 1960 the Mark II FP was produced
The tab stops were were changed from the orginal swing out from the top type to a push out square type
and the margin stop bails were aultered.
About the same time a modification of the escapement plate was made moving the trip wheel from the
bottom of the plate to the centre this was to help with the diphthong problam on the FP an HH
you might fimd this modification on HHs as thise machines were included in the modification instructions.
There was also model variant based on the FP in 1961 called the Britannia this was made colloured blue
and had hand tabs, hand margins and the same ribbon spools s the HH i think it was only sold in UK.

06-6-2015 12:25:23  #26

More great info. Thanks.

I noted a change between the '57 and '58 FP models: the original ribbon colour selector was a chromed metal lever, which was replaced by a plastic half-circle wheel. 

07-6-2015 16:28:50  #27

not seen a chromed bicrome selector on an FP could be thy were only fitted on Canadan built machines

07-6-2015 18:51:08  #28

dukedford wrote:

not seen a chromed bicrome selector on an FP could be thy were only fitted on Canadan built machines

When I saw the ad for the macine I assumed that the colour selector was broken, but when I inspected it in person it appeared to be completely original, which is why I bought the machine. Incidentally, the '57 doesn't state where it was made, but the '58 has a large "Made in Montreal" sticker on the machine.

1957 colour selector:

1958 colour selector:

Board footera