You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-6-2015 06:05:49  #1

Your Ebay watch list

Edited the title.  This is a place to post items of interest on eBay.  This can be auctions you think are worth watching (low starting bid, potential good deal, repairable bargains), it could be an auction you are not interested in bidding on but think another member might like, they can be items you are interested in bidding on (maybe to coordinate and make sure two TT's aren't bidding against each other), or maybe even just machines you think are interesting and would like to discuss or learn more about, ask opinion on price, condition, etc...

You should probably indicate which particular Ebay site you are looking at (us, uk, au, can...)

This is the original post:
So, we have the thread about laughable Ebay auctions.  Would there be any interest in a thread about potential Ebay (or other site) bargains or "decent deals"?

It would just be a place to post things you've seen on eBay like a nice typewriter that is reasonably priced or hasn't yet been bit up too high. A decent deal could potentially turn into a bad deal if it runs up too high, but this could be interesting to discuss as well.

Obviously, you'd not want to post something that you were planning on bidding on.  Maybe you've already got one, or it doesn't fit your collection, but a deal you think another TT person might benefit from.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-6-2015 15:42:58)

08-6-2015 11:50:40  #2

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Spazmelda wrote:

Obviously, you'd not want to post something that you were planning on bidding on.

Conversely, posting something you're bidding on might prevent a situation where two Typewriter Talk members are unknowingly trying to outbid each other. ;-)

It's a long story, but I once - tragically - got caught up in a bidding war for a local typewriter with a friend who is also a collector. We didn't realize that we were bidding against each other, and the price was driven far higher than the machine ended up being worth all because we broke our cardinal rule, which is to warn the other guy when you're after a specific machine.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-6-2015 12:57:16  #3

Hm, that is true. Good point.

08-6-2015 15:19:07  #4

Ahhh... so we work WITH each other! Radical idea. ;) 

08-6-2015 15:45:37  #5

Okay, I'll start.  Here is one I thought had potential for the US Ebay. Listing says the ribbon does not advance as it should. Fixable? I don't plan on bidding on this one, btw.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-6-2015 15:55:46)

08-6-2015 15:57:12  #6

I would think the ribbon advancement is fixable, but I've never worked on an Adler.

I might as well share one of my most wanted machines while on the topic:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-1930-s-Olympia-Mod-8-Black-Typewriter-/321759892919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aea6255b7

With further research about the SG-1, I stumbled across this old beauty. And I'm instantly in love. It would be the prize of my collection, combining nearly everything I want in a machine: style, mechanics, useless features that will not help whatsoever but make me feel special, and, above all, the name of my favorite typewriter brand in shiny script letters. Too bad it will cost me a grand total of $210 not including international shipping taxes. But I can still dream, can I?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

08-6-2015 16:00:13  #7

Could be that the ribbon is just incorrectly installed. These Tippas are very common here but are they abundant in the US? If so I'd pass, and wait for another   Unless you can get the seller to fiddle about with it and get it to play nicely. No harm in asking them!

Last edited by malole (08-6-2015 16:00:52)

08-6-2015 16:01:55  #8

Ztyper- that is pretty!

Malole, there are a couple of other tippas that I am watching.  On that note, here is another Adler.  I Think it is very good looking, but don't know much about it.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-6-2015 16:02:57)

08-6-2015 16:46:26  #9

ztyper wrote:

With further research about the SG-1, I stumbled across this old beauty.

Did you look at the keyboard? And the machine is a tripod too. Far better out there for that money.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-6-2015 16:56:17  #10

Spazmelda wrote:

there are a couple of other tippas that I am watching. On that note, here is another Adler. I Think it is very good looking, but don't know much about it.

The Tippa 1 is a very nice ultra-portable:

And the Primus too. If you like that portable you should expand your search to include the Triumph Perfekt and Norm portables:

Board footera