You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-4-2013 07:10:05  #1

WTB Any very quiet typewriter in good order

I like to work non-electric at night, and am looking for a machine that produces very little noise.  I know that some machines were made specially to be 'silent'.  Must be in full working order. 
Queensland Australia.
Thanks.

Sincerely,
beak.

05-4-2013 13:25:46  #2

Re: WTB Any very quiet typewriter in good order

I think your best bet would be a Remington Noiseless. They seem to be fairly common. 

05-4-2013 13:57:12  #3

I would take the "Noiseless" and "Silent" monikers with a grain of salt. I have so-called noiseless machines that are far louder than the regular model of the same series. Why? Because much of the sound deadening performance of the machine relies on material that has been glued to the inside of the machine, and in the case of many old machines, that materia isn't always intact, and sometimes it's been completely removed.

So when looking for a quiet typer make sure those material panels are still in the machine and that they're in good shape. You can also help quiet a machine, any machine, by placing it on a thick rubber pad when you're using it. And don't expect miracles. I've yet to come across a machine that was stealth-like in its use; all typewriters are noisy, some a little less so.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-4-2013 20:49:12  #4

Thanks to all for the advice.

I can well see that sound-deadening material placed about the casing would help, but could never quite imagine any design that tackled the problem of the noise inevitably produced by the slug (is that the right term?) striking the paper and platten.

Off to buy a piece of rubber matting.

Sincerely,
beak.

30-4-2013 06:35:06  #5

Eh? The noiseless and the silent are the same thing. The Remington Noiseless, and the ealier 'The Noiseless' machines, are astonishingly quiet, when they are in good working condition.

The noiseless mechanism is very different to the regular typewriter mechanism, and it doesn't actually rely on noise reduction padding (unlike Remington's awfully loud "Quiet-riter") I wouldn't call it slient by any stretch of the imagination, but it is significantly quieter than most machines. Instead of smacking the paper with the typeface, it basically throws it at it, and stops the momentum at the typeface. If the machanism is a bit worn, there'll be fair bit of noise from the machine side. But the loudest noise, that thwack sound, is pretty much elimited. Just make sure you use it on a bit of a typewriter pad of some kind, otherwise the platen movement still translates into a loud 'thunk' across your desktop.

Board footera