You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-6-2015 20:04:57  #21

Re: Your Ebay watch list

Retro-Z wrote:

You guys have posted up some gorgeous portables earlier in this thread. I'll have to keep on the lookout for some of those!

On other forums, I have never seen "heads up" type posts work out well for auction items. Usually someone gets bent out of shape about having attention drawn to an auction there are interested in. Having said that, it would be awesome if the members of this forum really could cooperate with each other!

Yeah, I didn't think about that until later.  Just because I'm not interested in a machine, doesn't mean someone else on here wasn't keeping it under wraps.

09-6-2015 20:37:48  #22

One thing that does work well is if forum members note what they are looking for in their signature. This way, if a forum member finds something they might  be interested, they could simply send a PM. Or, maybe a forum member will come across something they saw in another member's signature, and could help out with making sure that particular typewriter finds its way into that particular member's hands. 

This also works well if you are looking for particular parts/components for repairing a typewriter already in your collection. 

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

09-6-2015 23:46:17  #23

I have been looking for a typewriter in rough shape that I wouldn't feel terrible about repainting. I found this one this evening - the seller description states "The keys will only hit half way and will not touch the paper. The roller on the back will not move left or right."  I know that I would get $89.95 worth of pleasure out of cleaning and tinkering with it, but is it crazy to spend that much money on a machine in such bad shape?

10-6-2015 00:20:44  #24

Mech wrote:

I have been looking for a typewriter in rough shape that I wouldn't feel terrible about repainting. I found this one this evening - the seller description states "The keys will only hit half way and will not touch the paper. The roller on the back will not move left or right."  I know that I would get $89.95 worth of pleasure out of cleaning and tinkering with it, but is it crazy to spend that much money on a machine in such bad shape?

Short answer? YES!!! Definitely crazy, and there is absolutely no need to pay a seller nearly $100 for a typewriter in bad shape. I could sell you a few others for FAR cheaper if you are just looking for one to repaint, such as a Skyriter or Royal Royalite.

Just find a junky typewriter locally. I'm sure in a weekend of hitting up all the local antique stores and flea markets, you could find several nice examples for under $90.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

10-6-2015 00:47:15  #25

Mech wrote:

is it crazy to spend that much money on a machine in such bad shape? 

I think so, but only because I've bought SM3s in far better shape for less than a third of that price. On the other hand, what's $90 these days, especially if it gives you hours of entertainment? Oh, and there's nothing wrong with that machine. The seller doesn't realize that the carriage lock is engaged, which is obvious from the photo and would be the cause of the 'problems' he described.

Here's an example of a $20 SM3 that only needed a little cleaning:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-6-2015 05:36:24  #26

Hm, I don't know what my opinion is on the sm3. On the one hand it's almost the cheapest sm3 on eBay right now by a large margin.  Otoh, most of the sm3's on eBay ate probably overpriced (imo).  I guess I'm sort of leaning towards Uwe's "what's $90" if it gives you a lot of pleasure?

Here's a listing that's been kicking around on eBay for a while, and I've never heard of a Trixi before.  I haven't done an extensive Google seach, but a quick search doesn't bring up much except this listing and some stuff about a font called Trixi.

Last edited by Spazmelda (10-6-2015 05:36:38)

10-6-2015 10:39:44  #27

Spazmelda wrote:

On the one hand it's almost the cheapest sm3 on eBay right now by a large margin.

I would assume most sellers don't know a thing about the typewriter they're selling, and to set a price they search active auctions and use some ridiculously high price as a guide. "Well, if that guy is asking $200 for his SM3, then mine has to be worth at least $90." Blame the buyers, who often times probably don't know much more than the seller and pay more than they need to for a typewriter. I see this sort of thing happening weekly at a local antique market where one vendor consistently makes a decent profit off of those who buy typewriters on a whim. Even though I've bought a fair number of machines from him (at a much lower negotiated price) he doesn't like selling the nicer, more desirable models to me because I know what they're worth.

Spazmelda wrote:

Here's a listing that's been kicking around on eBay for a while, and I've never heard of a Trixi before.

It's a private label (rebranded) Consul, either a model 311 or 232. Given the seller's location, I'd hazard a guess that Trixi might have been a store brand in Germany or Austria.

My Consul 311 for comparison:

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

10-6-2015 11:46:31  #28

Uwe wrote:

Mech wrote:

is it crazy to spend that much money on a machine in such bad shape? 

I think so, but only because I've bought SM3s in far better shape for less than a third of that price. On the other hand, what's $90 these days, especially if it gives you hours of entertainment? Oh, and there's nothing wrong with that machine. The seller doesn't realize that the carriage lock is engaged, which is obvious from the photo and would be the cause of the 'problems' he described.

Here's an example of a $20 SM3 that only needed a little cleaning:

That is a beautiful $20 SM3. And thank you for the tip on the lock.

If the junker Olympia sits, I may ask the seller if they'll consider taking less. Its broken junkiness and fun potential are really what appeal to me. It would be more of a rescue mission than a savvy collector's move.

12-6-2015 15:09:46  #29

"Slap some pink on it, Luv..."
Is it worth trying to scrape this back into shape?

12-6-2015 15:54:25  #30

Looks like the back of the carriage is a real mess in terms of paint. Did they really paint over the margin stops and ruler?!?  Unbelievable. However, never underestimate a terrible paint job to blind naive buyers and liberate them of a ridiculous sum. Unless the description for that auction spells out the home handiwork, I wouldnt be surprised if that machine skyrockets in the last hour of bidding. I'd stay well clear of it - too many SMs in the sea to be worrying about this one.

EDIT: I just took a look at that auction and it's far worse than I imagined. It looks like the paint was applied with a brush! Overall it's probably one of the worst paint jobs I've ever seen and it needs to be stripped down and sent to the media-blasting booth for a couple of hours.

Last edited by Uwe (12-6-2015 15:59:17)

Board footera