You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-5-2015 14:33:02  #31

Re: Interesting Corona

ritualsart wrote:

While the Colored Keys typer is not as rare as the Animal Keyboard, it is still hard to find in the wild...

In my experience coloured key typewriters turn up on a fairly regular basis, far more often than say the Fraktur equipped machine that I've been trying to find for years now (at a reasonable price). I've seen many locally, and far more online, manufactured by a wide variety of companies; an antique shop in my area happens to have one right now - I think it was a Remington portable, perhaps a Remette.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2015 16:08:55  #32

Hi Uwe (and others)!

True, the other Colored Keys typers do show up frequently, be it the Bantam (has similar to Remette body), Remington 5 and some others. The Remette does not traditionally have colored keys, though I saw one a while back.

I should've clarified my statement-- that the Corona Color Keys typers don't show up that often, and I've been keeping an eye out for over 5 years as part of my research on teaching typewriters. The Corona Animal Keyboard typer makes an appearance even less so, though one did show up on ebay-- about January of this year after 3 year hiatus... to the best of my knowledge. 

Thanks for pointing out the FAQs of this forum to me-- I am so very, very new to this forum, so naturally I have to learn a few things to get my bearings! If anything, I was hoping for the drag and drop version for my pics, to make things easy for me. I see that can't be done here. 

I will try to upload my images to these photo services tonight, as I need a bit of help with my hubby overlooking the process. I think he has an account with Flickr, it so happens. ;o)

I'm also on the lookout for a Fraktur typer... and wish you the best of luck in finding one! They would be tricky to find... I may have to take a trip to Germany to locate one, as they seem to come from there, if at all-- right? ;o)

Quick question: did I meet you, Uwe, at the International Typewriter Collectors Convention last year? I seem to recall that.

Take care.

Warmly, Gigi 

Gigi's comment:

Uwe wrote:

ritualsart wrote:

While the Colored Keys typer is not as rare as the Animal Keyboard, it is still hard to find in the wild...

Uwe's comment:
In my experience coloured key typewriters turn up on a fairly regular basis, far more often than say the Fraktur equipped machine that I've been trying to find for years now (at a reasonable price). I've seen many locally, and far more online, manufactured by a wide variety of companies; an antique shop in my area happens to have one right now - I think it was a Remington portable, perhaps a Remette.

15-5-2015 17:27:23  #33

Hi Gigi,

It must have been another Uwe; I didn't even know that the International Typewriter Collectors existed, nevermind that they hold conventions.  

I've come across a number of Fraktur machines on eBay, but either they have incredibly high asking prices, or bidders clamour over them and drive their price to the moon.When they finally sell for typically two or three times my upper limit, I'm always left wondering what type of person is buying them. Then again, some people will pay crazy amounts of money just because a typewriter is painted something other than black or grey.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-5-2015 18:43:57  #34

Just WOW!
I thought this one was interesting
didn't know how interesting though

My blog - Just Typewriters

17-5-2015 09:28:08  #35

Well, I lost out on it.  I didn't have a high bid on it.  Oh well.  I might have bid more if I was up this morning and paying attention.  I'm ok with not winning it though.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

17-5-2015 09:56:01  #36

$102.50. Really, not much considering... That's only about £65 - there are people charging more than that for bog-standard Letteras... 

17-5-2015 10:17:25  #37

Ah, the one that got away.  Sorry

17-5-2015 15:43:12  #38

Greetings everyone,

Don't feel so bad for missing this auction! ;o)

This may be a one time moment that I think you might be better off waiting for a better condition one.

In my experience collecting these teaching typers, I think this particular typer's keyboard is quite faded.

Speaking of which, I still need to upload my images (oh, darn! moment) as my hubby was supposed to assist with the upload last night. I wanted to show you all what a good condition one looked like. The typer is in storage right now, so I can't verify if the keyboard has diecut tops surrounded with metal rings or actual celluliod keys with aforementioned metal rings.

If it is in fact, diecut (I'm changing my earlier opinion, in case I'm mistaken) cardboard tops with metal rings, you wouldn't be able to restore the keyboard to it's former glory with a mere cleanup. Trust me, that typer needed a clean up big time. The pastel color keytops were quite washed out, and that alone bothered me a lot. (This is why I quickly joined this forum to help you all out with your debate of purchase-- with information I've been able to glean from the last 5 years spent researching the teaching typewriters. Trust me, that information was a bit tough to find!)

Nevertheless, it isn't fair for me to discuss this typer in detail without the images... Let me go bug my hubby right now and get those images posted stat! ;o)

Be back soon, hopefully with links for the images!

Ciao for now!

Warmly, Gigi

17-5-2015 17:22:10  #39

Greetings All,

Finally, after much ado, here's the images I've been wanting to share with you. Enjoy!

Kindly send me comments... I would love to hear what you have to say. ;o)

There's 5 images to review; scroll down to see descriptives below each image, okay?

Kindly forgive me in advance for the length of this note! 

Corona_Colored_Keyboard_Typewriter by ritualsart, on Flickr

Corona Colored Keyboard Typewriter: came out mid 1936, for older children and adults to learn how to type.

Corona_Colored_Keyboard_Typewriter_CloseUp by ritualsart, on Flickr

Corona Colored Keyboard Typewriter, Close Up View: here's a close up view of the typer, with pastel colored keys. (This picture is especially important to see the difference between the ebay auction version (of faded keyboard) versus the one I have in my collection with keyboard in much better condition. Truth be told, I paid more for it. ;o)

Corona_Animal_Keyboard_Typewriter by ritualsart, on Flickr

Corona Animal Keyboard Typewriter: Note the 'dance' of the animals across the keys, each animal is in a different position on a related (colored background) key. It makes for a great sensory keyboard experience for the child, and engages his/her attention. Not only that, this versatile typer has MATH keys in the top row-- helping the child with the three "Rs:" 'reading, 'riting and 'rithmetic!

Corona_Animal_Keyboard_Typewriter_Rings_In_Box by ritualsart, on Flickr

Corona Animal Keyboard Typewriter Rings: and here are the uber rare rings, very hard to find, and sell for lots of $$! One complete 'new' set just sold on ebay two nights ago, after not being available or seen since 2011 or so. Most often, they are tossed in to a drawer and forgotten, once the child learns how to type. They are much harder to locate than the Animal typewriters themselves, as well as the child's and parent's manuals. See the ad below:

1935_Corona_Animal_Keyboard_Typewriter_Colorful_Holiday_Ad by ritualsart, on Flickr

1935 Corona Animal Typewriter Ad: the typer and accessories were advertised for only one season-- November and early December, for the holiday season. As this was the height of the Great Depression, only wealthy parents could afford to 'recover' the keyboard for additional fee. The total price of the Animal Typewriter 'set' is equivalent to purchasing an Ipad in today's dollars for "edu-tainment," as we instructional designers call this methodology of learning.

Just so you know, I have a Masters in Education, for Interactive, Instructional Design... hence, my growing interest and research in anything related to Teaching Typewriters, esp. the Corona Animal Typewriter and related accessories! ;o)

Again, kindly let me know what you think, okay?

Have a super day!

Warmly, Gigi

14-6-2015 13:07:14  #40

Here is an interesting post on reddit if anyone is still in the market for a colored key typewriter.  The poster seems interested in selling, but doesn't want to post on eBay for fear of key choppers.

http://www.reddit.com/r/typewriters/comments/39tckt/corona_colored_key_1936/

Board footera