You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-5-2015 13:06:01  #11

Re: Royal 5 questions

Steve Stephens wrote:

I think that a lot of early typewriters did have a blue-grey color to the platen as I have seen many that way.  

I think you mean they have blue/grey platens now; unless you saw these platens when they were actually new, the colour that they are now is more likely the result of many decades of wear and deterioration, and is less likely to be representative of what the rubber looked like back then. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-6-2015 16:19:42  #12

As long as the platen is not shiny you can clean it with a mix of half mentholated spirit and half white spirit this will remove any ink and other dirt and then with just white spirit this give a reasonable finish. 

Feed rolls can be cleaned in the same way but always remove the feed rolls from the machine and from the shaft thy are on, then lightly oil the shaft with a mixture of oil and white spirit so thy don't stick.
The white spirit will evaporate and leave a light layer of oil so it dose not get on the rollers. 

If the platen is shiny you can try rubbing it down with emery cloth ether by hand or better on a lath. If your using a lath use a long length of emery cloth about 3/4” wide and as the platen is turningrun the emery cloth along it, with the emery cloth at the rear of the platen and holding the ends in the front run from one end to the other 2 or 3 times or until you have removed the shine.
Then run a cloth soaked in WHITE SPIRIT along the platen while the lath is still running this will clean any powder from the platen and give it a new look sheen. 

By hand also use emery cloth rubbing up and down the platen and again finishing off with white spirit but this never gives a good finish so not really recommended. 

Last edited by dukedford (17-6-2015 16:21:50)

17-6-2015 19:05:11  #13

dukedford wrote:

As long as the platen is not shiny you can clean it with a mix of half mentholated spirit and half white spirit this will remove any ink and other dirt and then with just white spirit this give a reasonable finish. 

Feed rolls can be cleaned in the same way but always remove the feed rolls from the machine and from the shaft thy are on, then lightly oil the shaft with a mixture of oil and white spirit so thy don't stick.
The white spirit will evaporate and leave a light layer of oil so it dose not get on the rollers. 

If the platen is shiny you can try rubbing it down with emery cloth ether by hand or better on a lath. If your using a lath use a long length of emery cloth about 3/4” wide and as the platen is turningrun the emery cloth along it, with the emery cloth at the rear of the platen and holding the ends in the front run from one end to the other 2 or 3 times or until you have removed the shine.
Then run a cloth soaked in WHITE SPIRIT along the platen while the lath is still running this will clean any powder from the platen and give it a new look sheen. 

By hand also use emery cloth rubbing up and down the platen and again finishing off with white spirit but this never gives a good finish so not really recommended. 

I will definitely try this when I get to restoring my Royal 5. However, I have bigger problems with it right now; it appears to be missing a ball bearing or two in the carriage, leaving the carriage extremely loose and bumpy on one side.

18-6-2015 00:49:54  #14

Do you know how to remove a Royal carrage?

18-6-2015 08:06:53  #15

I'm afraid I do not, but help would be appreciated

18-6-2015 08:11:15  #16

ok give me a few days and i will tell you how to remove and replace the carrage

18-6-2015 08:21:24  #17

Thank you!

19-6-2015 15:39:52  #18

REMOVING AND REINSTALLING A ROYAL CARRAGE 
Remove the platen and feeds, this make the carriage lighter and easer to manage. 

Move the right hand margin stop to the right and the left margin stop to the left. 

Remove the carriage band and secure it on the right there should be a screw anchor if not anchor it some were it can not get loose. 

Now from the back of the machine move the carriage to the left (the line space lever in the centre) 

On the carriage you will see the carriage clamps first remove the clamps hanging over the of the base of the machine. Then loosen the screws of the centre one still on the rail NO NOT REMOVE. 

DO NOT REMOVE ANY OTHER CARRIAGE CLAMPS. 

Now move the carriage to the right of the machine and will be able to lift it off. 

Firstly move it towards you and lift so the carriage to release the carriage from the support rail then lift the end over the rail to release the back space lever it will now lift off. 

Now the carriage is off check the number of ball bearings and pinions there should be 2 for carriages of 16” or under and 4 for carriages over 16”. 

Clean the rails with oil and white mix spirit and check the escapement rack for damage and clean. 

Also check the escapement wheel and clean. 

TO REFIT THE CARRIAGE. 

Place the balls and pinions on the rail again with the back of the machine facing you. 

The one on the right 3 teeth from the end and the other one approximately 3 teeth from the centre. If there are 4 balls and pinions, position other two 6 teeth from the two you have just place on the rail to the centre on the rail. 

-----------------------------*----======----------------------------*----  

-----------------------------*----==*===--------------------*-------*---- 

Place the carriage back on the rail making sure the back support roller is sitting on the back rail and the backspace lever is above the escapement rack. 

Move the carriage slowly to the left and check the ball pinions are 3 teeth from the end. If thy are not just lift the carriage and set them in the right position with a small screw driver or a thin rod. 

Move the carriage back to the other end and check the other ball pinions making sure thy are all in the right place before doing any thing else. 

When the balls and pinions are in the right places refit the end clamp move the carriage so the clamp is over the rail push the clamp up to meet the rail and tighten the screws not fully tight.

Then move the carriage checking that it is not sticking and there is no movement up and down.

When you are satisfied that it is tight without sticking tighten the screws up. Do the same with the rest of the clamps including the centre one. 

Use a small hammer to adjust the clamps before fully tightening the screws. 

Refit the carriage band, the feed rollers and the platen and the job is complete. 

If you have any problems I will do my best to help you.    

Last edited by dukedford (19-6-2015 15:43:41)

20-6-2015 12:06:50  #19

Excellent! I'll get right to it.

Board footera