You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-6-2015 12:41:59  #11

Re: I think I just found a extremely rare typewriter on ebay

Must. Buy. It.

I really want to buy it but I dont think I have enough... 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-6-2015 13:27:45  #12

I went ahead and got it - an out-of-character impulse buy. I will easily get $100 worth of fun out of the typewriter -  hope I can get it running.

I sent the seller packing instructions and a link to typewriter packing tips - I hope that I didn't sound like a complete noodge.

19-6-2015 17:50:13  #13

Youre going to have to tell us how it comes out. How to make any old typewiter with smooth paint instantly better: polish it with gun oil!. Also, get some custom decals from this guy http://catch55.home.xs4all.nl

Back from a long break.

20-6-2015 10:49:40  #14

TypewriterGuy wrote:

How to make any old typewiter with smooth paint instantly better: polish it with gun oil!.

Gun oil is designed to clean and lubricate metal parts. I've never heard it being used on painted surfaces, nor do I understand why anyone would use that when there are myriad specialty products available that were designed to safely clean and protect painted materials. And good luck trying to apply a water-slide decal on a surface coated in gun oil.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2015 11:17:08  #15

No, you just put a little on, wipe it, and wipe it off. It turns the grey, scratched surfaced typewriters (Like a Royal 10), and turns them back into a smooth glossy black. Also, Tom from Cambridge Typewriter, a typewriter repairman, has recommended it.

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (20-6-2015 11:18:47)

Back from a long break.

20-6-2015 11:34:03  #16

I plan to take a "do no harm" approach with this one. First: try get it running and then do a careful outside cleaning. I have read good things about Renaissance brand microcrystalline wax for polishing.

Though it's missing decals, I don't plan to put new ones on the typewriter. Its relative rarity may really matter to a future owner, so I will try to keep it as original as possible.

It shipped yesterday - I hope it arrives in one piece.

20-6-2015 12:35:06  #17

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Tom from Cambridge Typewriter, a typewriter repairman, has recommended it.

Yeah, no doubt to clean and lube the mechanical metal parts inside of the typewriter. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-6-2015 01:17:49  #18

One problem with wiping down the exterior of a typewriter with gun oil is that it will leave behind an extremely thin film of oil. This film, while helping to make a glossy painted finish look better, will also attract dust. It can also darken paints that are a color other than black. If it's a typewriter you plan to use a lot, it has black paint, and you are going to be cleaning/maintaining it on a regular basis, sure, wipe it down occasionally to keep it shiny and nice. 

Definitely don't wipe a typewriter down with oil and then put it into storage, as you will have to clean off the stubborn, dirty film at a later date after the gun oil gums up over time and gets a bunch of dirt/dust stuck to it.

Really, the best way to shine/protect antique high-gloss paint is to properly polish the finish and then wax the exterior, much like you would a car.

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

21-6-2015 06:26:48  #19

No Uwe, to use it on the outside. Its perfectly safe to use. I have my things I use, you haveyours. And Retro, I wipe it down every day. Im only ussing this right now because I currently downt have any wax, and when I get some Ill put iton.

Back from a long break.

21-6-2015 21:23:51  #20

Congrads "Mech!"

Topic an interesting discussion for a new-comer to read.  Granted people back then didn't have the selection of cleaning products we have today.

"3 in 1 oil" worked wonders for a royal 10 got, but I did pay extra to get one in good working condition in the first place.

Page 6 from a Royal 10 manual (circa mid to late 20's) advises the following under "Where and How to Clean."

"4.  Your machine can be kept looking like new by occasionally wiping all nickled and enameld parts with an oily cloth, then with a soft, dry cloth.  NOTE: Remember to use oil sparingly-- too much oil will attract dust and do more injury than no oil at all."

As with so many things, maybe there is no one "right way?"

At the risk of multi-thread, I'd like to know more about decals. Not trolling!

Wouldn't putting a reproduction decal on an antique lessen its value?  (They're readily available for telephones & sub-sets and it's source of ethical 'discussion' sort of like painting typewriters seems to be here at TT.)

Just curious. : ) 

Board footera