You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-6-2015 19:00:08  #1

Mystery serial number?

The other day while cleaning my Royal 10 again, I noticed a number that looks like a a serial number under the ribbon spool cover on the left side of the body. This is what it looks like:

Now that I see it, it's upside down. But the number is I think 7786630. It's not the standard serial number, but it's embedded into the body like a serial number. Does anyone know what it is if it's not a serial number?

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

18-6-2015 22:47:46  #2

Re: Mystery serial number?

Those look like the number one to me.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

19-6-2015 05:02:32  #3

To me it seems like itwould be  part serial number.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

19-6-2015 06:04:51  #4

I make it 1186630 which would be from a Royal 10 circa 1928.  Very likely it is a carriage shift model.  It would be the actual serial number as found at the back of the machine, or within a few digits of it.  It is probably a FRAME number !  Hope this helps !

20-6-2015 15:18:29  #5

I originally thought it was a '1' too, but the '1' from the actual serial number is in a different typeface, so I thought it was a '7'. The Royal 10 I own is a carriage shift (though I really wanted a segment shift...), so I think it is the frame number. Thanks for the input!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

20-6-2015 16:21:40  #6

I like carriage shift better 

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

20-6-2015 21:50:45  #7

Forgive the stupid question, but what is segment shift?

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

20-6-2015 22:55:21  #8

colrehogan wrote:

Forgive the stupid question, but what is segment shift?

On a carriage shift machine the carriage moves up and down to when you use the shift key to switch between lower and uppercase characters. On a segment shift it's the type basket that moves up and down instead of the carriage.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera