You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-6-2015 15:32:45  #261

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

KatLondon wrote:

Well I can't compete with all these fantastic ancient fixer-uppers... but as Spazmelda and I were discussing the other day, I did weaken and bought this little beauty:
and it has a really beautiful, slightly unusual-looking little elite type.

Great stuff! Would love to see a sample of the type - even a messy one Hope you get it sorted out.

29-6-2015 16:08:59  #262

I think I've got s few pages here where I was typing things like, 'Hm, think this is working now?' and so on - I'll have a look tomorrow! It's probably not that unusual but very different form the Hermes and Olympia ones I'm used to.

All I need now is for someone toreply on my repairs thread - I can SEE the thing that isn't moving properly, it is just annoying not knowing what it means or how to get to it. We shall see...

29-6-2015 16:09:58  #263

Actually I suddenly think it was you not Spazmelda I was discussing it with when I bought it. Sorry about that!

29-6-2015 16:23:43  #264

ztyper wrote:

I think he might be talking about a radio mill typewriter? From what I gathered, they were used for government purposes.
...snip....
Also, if your machine seems like it was used DURING the war (late 30's early 40's) than it probably was. But that does not mean it was used FOR the war. Just because I own a shovel from 1941, doesn't mean it was being used to dig foxholes in France. Same goes for typewriters. People still used typewriters during the war, but most didn't use them for the war.

For these so-called "mill" typewriters (Where does that name come from, anyway?) don't forget that the telegraph offices used all-upper-case in printing out their messages. Nothing to do with radio nor government. Some other organizations, like schools perhaps, might have use for all-upper-case, too.

29-6-2015 16:35:15  #265

I assume "mill" is short for military, with an extra l thrown in.

I just had to add that so I could go from being a novice typer to a key puncher. I am so proud.

29-6-2015 17:38:40  #266

Foljambe wrote:

I assume "mill" is short for military, with an extra l thrown in.

"Mill" is not short for military. It's just a nickname that radio operators (civilian and military) applied to the typewriters they used to transcribe radio messages to paper. When you look at the multiple definitions for the word mill it's fairly easy to understand how they came up with the term - and why it stuck.

"Mill" - Any of various other apparatuses for shaping materials or performing other mechanical operations

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

29-6-2015 19:35:54  #267

-This post is just so I have a list of all my typewriters-
- 1949 Royal KMG, 1963 Smith Corona Sterling, 1949 Royal Arrow, 1910 Remington Standard 10, Oliver Printype 9, Underwood Standard 5, 1911 Remington Standard  10, Olivetti Lettera 32, 1950 Smith Corona Skywriter, 1948 Royal Arrow, 1921 Royal Model 10 (Double Glass), 1904 Smith Premier 4, Royal Speed King, Smith Corona Coronet Super 10, 1946 Remington KMC

My recent ones are the last 4 on the list.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-7-2015 07:39:46  #268

I picked this up at a garage sale yesterday.  I don't usually go to garage sales,  it I was on my way to Harbor Freight to try to find springs for Battleship Bertha (success) and passed by.  I decided to stop in and asked if there were any typewriters.  The lady pulled out this one and an electric something. I asked her how much for this and we agreed on $15. It's very clean and came with the 'twin pac' ribbon installed.  The only problem I've found so far is that the little prong/pin on the left ribbon plastic thing is missing.  Does anyone know a low-tech fix for this?

I know it's not really valuable or collectable, but it's cute!

Little plastic pin is missing from this:

05-7-2015 11:05:19  #269

For the missing pin, I think I would try a piece of wire, having first softened the plastic with something like a soldering tool on cool. I'm thinking the wire might go in, and stay there once the plastic had hardened up again. Or reinforce the join with superglue. Really tricky, as it's so tiny! Other ways to get the spool to turn might be to use a bit of blu-tack to hold the spool in place. Or a bit of rolled/folded paper shoved down between the shaft and the hole in the spool, sticking up a bit out of the top for easy removal. Getting really low-tech Nice find.

05-7-2015 12:21:18  #270

I had some blu tack (though mine is white) and that actually worked fairly well. Thanks! I'll continue to consider more permanent repairs, but that works for now. 

I'd thought about trying to jam a metal post in, similar to what you described, but I'd probably have heated the end of the metal to melt it in. I'd be worried about it wiggling out of position even with super glue.   Another thing I'd considered was using a metal earring back. I'd have to probably dremel the base of it down to fit on that little ridge, it down and find some way to fasten it in.  I guess ultimately, you'd want to find a replacement part, but it's probably not worth the trouble.

Board footera