You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2014 23:38:10  #1

Remington identification and date

Hello everyone.
I am looking for some help identifying a Remington typewriter.  Looking around online has been useful, but I worry that I may be mistaken in my information. 
Hopefully the members here will be able to give me the facts.
Also, I hope I haven't accidentally double-posted this topic.

The machine in question is a Remington Standard model 10... I believe.
The serial number appears to be RV02224.
This makes me think the machine could be an early model 10, perhaps built in 1908-1909.
I could be wrong, and that could be wishful thinking.

The machine itself is neglected.  It was acquired by my sister for free from a craigslist posting, and is now a decoration in the apartment of my fiancee. 
We have used the typewriter for a photograph on her blog, and received questions about the machine's age.

What say you?  Am I completely wrong or am I close to right?

(I tried posting this with photos earlier, but I believe that being a very new member means I can't post photos yet.  The photos will follow soon if I'm right.)

11-5-2014 23:40:34  #2

Re: Remington identification and date

12-5-2014 13:18:41  #3

At first I thought was a Remington Standard No. 11 because it has the decimal tabulator, but apparently there were No. 10 models with that feature too. According to the database, the No. 10 was in production between 1908 and 1921. We can eliminate machines made up to 1914 because the serial number on yours is completely wrong for those years. Besides, earlier No. 10 models had different tabulator keys.

I think you own a 1920 Remington Standard No. 10. Why? Because the first number after the two letter prefix in the serial number represents the year of the machine's manufacturer, which in your case is a 0 (for 1920). Had your machine been built in 1915, for example, the serial number would have been RV42224.

So what are your plans for the typewriter? Are you going to restore it? Is the Remington stencil still visible on the paper table, which you have folded over in your photos?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-5-2014 16:23:51  #4

Thank you for the information.  That is most helpful and appreciated.
The sites I checked online were rather confusing for me, probably because I'm such a novice to this subject.  It feels good to have a more definite date for the typewriter.

Restoring the machine sounds like a fun project.  Before I decide if I will attempt that, I will try to learn as much as I can about the process, and about this machine in particular.  I would want to be sure it is something I can do a fair job of, rather than cause more damage to the machine.

Please forgive any incorrect terms I use in the following description.

The paper table is pretty rough.  The left side is corroded and much of the paint is off.  But the remains of the Remington name is still there along with a bit of the red circular symbol on the left side.

I think someone may have attempted to repaint the typewriter at some point, and it looks as if they did a poor job.  Other restored Model 10's I have seen pictures of show an attractive "Remington" across the front of the machine below the keyboard.  It looks as if this was painted over, and I doubt the original finish is still underneath.

The numeral "one" arm and key button are missing.  A couple of the other arms have their type-face ends broken off.
Much of the mechanisms are very stiff, though all the keys function.  A few of the key arms jam against their neighbors.  Other functions seem to be free, though I haven't tested everything.  The paper roller does move, though it does not advance with any keystroke.

I enjoy researching odd topics and doing mechanical work, though nothing I've tinkered with in the past has been up to this level of intricacy.  Old automobiles is usualy my limit.  My fiancee and I are both a bit outdated, so a machine like this is quite at home with us.  Even if the typwriter remains a non-functional decoration, I'm sure I'll find hours of entertainment through learning about it.

Thank you again for the information you've given me, and for all the information I'll be finding on this forum in the future.

12-5-2014 20:10:56  #5

Paint and decals are the least of your problems when considering a restoration. I would be mostly concerned about any missing parts, and missing type slugs is not a minor obstacle to overcome. You may be better off buying another example of the Remington 10 and using your current machine for parts. And if you only want it for decoration, then cleaning it up to look nice is a fairly easy project. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-7-2015 13:13:39  #6

Actually, the number "1" key was not a feature in typewriters until later on. So its normal not to have it. The missing logo can be from wear. Made in 1908 from the serial number.
(Sorry for reviving another old thread)

Last edited by TypewriterGuy (02-7-2015 13:14:36)

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera