You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-7-2015 17:18:57  #1

Oliver serial number location

The title says what I need the most out of my new Oliver #5 I got today for $20 at a flea market up in Vermont. And if anyone could tell me how the right margin works, it would be greatly appreciated. For some reason it won't catch and the carriage will just keep going. Granted it is extremely dirty and most of the nickle finish has rusted off, but I still want to know how it works. Also, can anyone post a picture of the left side of the carriage were the ratchet is and the ratchet pawl is? The ratchet is broken and I'm not sure how it goes. 

Last edited by ztyper (04-7-2015 17:20:10)

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

05-7-2015 15:31:56  #2

Re: Oliver serial number location

Alright, so now that I got the darn thing in a somewhat tolerable condition, I now need some comparison pictures for some parts of my Oliver. Can anyone give me a picture of the side of the platen by the ratchet? Here's what mine looks like:

The screwdriver points to a piece that I think might have something to do with the problem. I'm not sure why it's hanging there or what it does.

I also need a picture of the right margin. For some reason, the margin is not catching and I need something to compare it with to see if something is bent out of shape or missing. And there is a lot of excess grease and oil on it for some reason. It was probably sitting in a damp place for it's rusted through. Even the nickle plating has peeled off. I have never seen anything so bad that the nickle plating peels off. This is probably the worst typewriter I have ever seen condition wise. But it (sorta) works now.

05-7-2015 15:51:07  #3

The nickel plating on these things are always peeling and rusting. I might be able to get some pictures of my 9 later, but its a different model.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

05-7-2015 18:41:08  #4

As far as I know, all of the Olivers are the same besides some cosmetic changes and whatnot.

06-7-2015 07:20:31  #5

I beleive this is what you need. Mine may be a little different since it is a 9.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

06-7-2015 19:49:56  #6

Well thanks for the picture, and it has led me to some good and bad news. Good news is, I know what's wrong. Bad news is... The piece that keeps the ratchet in place has broken off. But I used a rubber band to keep it in place, so it's all good now.

Board footera