You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-7-2015 00:42:26  #11

Re: Silent-Super escapement issue, apparently not uncommon problem?

No problem! It's good practice for me, to face taking the shell off completely. It's slightly daunting with all those screws to get muddled up.

03-7-2015 07:55:16  #12

Okay well I have got it working. Malole I owe you a big thank you - I've had a lot of stuff going on recently and for some reason it hadn't even occurred to me to take the back off and get another angle on it. I've been under a tiny amount of stress recently... so I did this the other night (when I should have been either working or sleeping) and just cleaned the other side of the escapement as well as I could. I alternated meths and penetrating oil, and it started to work better, and then stopped again. So I left it over night wit the penetrating oil. Yesterday morning it started to work better again, and after a page, just as I was thinking YESS!, it seized up again. Give me a break. Gave it another, really thorough, go with the cotton buds, and basically just started typing like I wasn't going to take no for an answer. Like dealing with a toddler.

Lo and behold, it just kept typing! I did a couple more pages when I got back in the evening - all fine - and then all day yesterday and so far today (I keep checking it) - still fine! It's skipping a bit, but that isn't so horrible, and it seems to be getting a little better. So cute. I'll put up a type sample when I can... 

03-7-2015 14:06:24  #13

Huzzahhh! I know what you mean about not taking no for an answer! I spent all day - well a lot of today, typing on my Sterling, and it is really lovely. Looking forward to seeing a type sample. The little bit you posted was a great hint at how nice it must be. It's great when something so annoying gets fixed with cleaning.

03-7-2015 14:35:34  #14

The sterlings are some of the best typewriters I have used. Crisp action, comfortable keys. At least the 1963 version.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

13-7-2015 13:23:28  #15

... and here, as promised, is what it looks like when it types! I'm making no claims for the typing itself, please note. The type is quite tiny, in fact, which doesn't really show in this picture - it's 12cpi but because of the shapes of the letters, it looks a bit smaller than some other elites I have. There is a name for this kind f type, right? Can't think of it. Anyway I love it and all the more because it's so unlike my other Silent-Super, which has a big rounded pica type. (Also, there is nothing like getting it blown up really big to see how it's wobbling all over the place! Well...)

Last edited by KatLondon (13-7-2015 13:26:31)

13-7-2015 14:04:56  #16

Very nice indeed! It looks very similar to the typeface on my Lettera 32. Good to see it typing a whole page instead of two characters
"whole" as in a whole half-page!

Last edited by malole (13-7-2015 14:06:03)

Board footera