You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-5-2013 17:17:56  #1

Flipping Typewriters

I didn't bid on this nice Continental that sold last month on eBay for $25 because it was missing parts:

But of course someone else did buy it. And now that person is flipping it for a crazy asking price despite the fact that it's still missing parts...

After a little digging I found out that flipping typers is what this person does; nothing wrong with making a buck I suppose, but the million dollar question for me is: Is he really selling these machines at his inflated prices? If nothing else, if this practice becomes more widespread it will end up driving up prices of typers in my area.

Here's another one he's flipping (I found others too):

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-5-2013 23:37:10  #2

Re: Flipping Typewriters

I can't really sat that there's anything wrong with this either - who would not buy below market price in hope of selling for a profit later on - I've do that myself.  As for selling at inflated prices, well, they probably do not sell at inflated prices, but are passed in. 

Perhaps this seller has the same idea as most of us - funding purchases of TWs he or she wants by spotting TWs that are selling cheap?

Looking around EBay etc recently, I see many bagains still.  The machines offered at inflated prices never seem to sell.  So overall, the market still seems viable for the collector such as myself with some restriction on budget.

Sincerely,
beak.

15-5-2013 13:19:45  #3

I reckon the easiest way to flip a typewriter is to advertise it with some decent photographs. Many of my best bargain buys have been poorly photographed eBay typers that I took a chance on. If you take an out-of-focus picture with a cheap cell-phone camera under a 40w bulb on a stained carpet, it's always going to look rough. I think some buyers suspect that poor photogrpahy is done deliberately to hide flaws, and shy away.

I've not flipped yet, but don't see a problem as long as you don't mislead anyone.

31-5-2013 18:49:12  #4

I see lots of inflated prices, but that doesn't mean they actually sell at those prices. Many sellers start unrealisticly high just to see if someone will pay it and if not, they can always reduce the price.

I feel sorry for someone that overpays for a machine as they will be disappointed when they find out.

Clark

Board footera