You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-8-2015 13:54:50  #41

Re: Another trip to the antique mall

Yes, well im not keeping it, so don't be jealous of me! Thing is monsterously heavy.  I think I paid 50¢ a pound for it.  Look what I found hiding in the side panel:

I'll be interested to see if the new owner can get it up and running.  I haven't dared to plug it in.  Since its not mine, I'd feel really bad if I exploded it.  The cord is a mess.  Totally wrapped in electrical tape. I'm sure it will have to be replaced.

09-8-2015 18:51:20  #42

That is a monster, and I would have grabbed that too!  Beautiful.

Attitudes in 'antique' shops are weird.  With one or two notable exceptions, I have come to the conclusion that sellers (especially in those antique supermarkets) don't know much about antiques or collectables apart from superficially being able to put a price on them far in excess of their worth.  I have found that they don't even like the things they sell, have no idea how to restore or care for them while they are in their charge, and are happy to destroy them by overcleaning and by stripping the original finishes away if there is brass underneath and polishing that until the thing looks grotesque. 
  Every now and then the experience is fair enough, but grotty attitude is more commonly encountered, IME, and I can't tell you the number of times that offering a fair price for something has induced thinly-veiled outrage in a seller, as though I were attempting blatant theft!  My skin has beome pretty thick over the years, and I laugh it off, moving along to the next stall.

The last thing I bought was one of those exceptions.  Nice man had an old British 150 telephone in absolutely untouched condition.  I asked to pick it up and look at it, which he was happy with, confessing that he knew nothing about it.  I eventually offered him half what he was asking (which was fair, IMO) and he was happy with that and took good care to wrap it up for me.  Would they were all like him.

Last edited by beak (09-8-2015 18:59:26)

Sincerely,
beak.

10-8-2015 18:48:02  #43

colrehogan wrote:

By the time I walked by the stall where the Royal was, there was a sign on it that read, Do not play with. The sign wasn't there when I was looking at it, but apparently that was in response to my looking. Oh well.

Chuckle.  "Oh well" indeed.  I'd have gotten a crayon and swapped notes.  

Pleze play with me!

That's one beast of an electric btw.  Looks like it came out of a Sherman tank!  

10-8-2015 19:52:39  #44

Very cool indeed that there's a whole spool of carbon ribbon there!  I'm guessing that is completely unavailable now, yes?

10-8-2015 23:54:04  #45

Fleetwing wrote:

Very cool indeed that there's a whole spool of carbon ribbon there!  I'm guessing that is completely unavailable now, yes?

When I wanted some for my Hermes Ambassador, I simply bought some old plastic cassette carbons, which seem to be everywhere, and spooled them onto the Amassador.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-8-2015 09:25:47  #46

You might be able to find new old stock, I have no idea. I've never had any reason to look so far.  I was just excited to pop open that panel and see this pristine carbon ribbon waiting patiently for... Something.

11-8-2015 20:18:22  #47

beak wrote:

Fleetwing wrote:

When I wanted some for my Hermes Ambassador, I simply bought some old plastic cassette carbons, which seem to be everywhere, and spooled them onto the Amassador.

You mean like for an electronic typewriter, or the Smith Corona cassettes?  That makes sense.

11-8-2015 20:20:27  #48

Spazmelda wrote:

You might be able to find new old stock, I have no idea. I've never had any reason to look so far. I was just excited to pop open that panel and see this pristine carbon ribbon waiting patiently for... Something.

Yes, I know what you mean!  How many feet on that spool, I wonder?

11-8-2015 21:50:40  #49

You're lucky finding an antique shop like that. Here in Thailand antique shops are full of touristy stuff that is all of three months old.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

12-8-2015 18:18:46  #50

NDW76 wrote:

You're lucky finding an antique shop like that. Here in Thailand antique shops are full of touristy stuff that is all of three months old.

Ha!  Don't know why that struck me a funny because it isn't.  Here in San Antonio Texas, "antique" malls are little more than classy (pricey) flea markets.  What passes for an "antique" in these tourist traps is probably a metal lunch box from the 50's. 

Brian

Oh, and welcome btw!  Haven't been here that long myself.

Board footera