You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-8-2015 18:25:41  #11

Re: Keep it fresh - Use a new ribbon.

I suppose it's possible, I mean, I didn't know that the escapement could be adjusted to better suit the typist until recently so perhaps it does exist.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-8-2015 20:05:07  #12

Beak,

I think this is what you might be looking for when you say to adjust the striking distance.

http://www.hnsa.org/resources/manuals-documents/single-topic/typewriter-maintenance/

I stumbled upon it awhile back for mainsprings, and I have only found something today that mentions moving the platen and carriage assembly horizontally and how to adjust it. It starts on page 39, but the adjustments are for mid 40's machines. The lingo is pretty foreign to me, but I think this is what you mean. Let me know if it is.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-8-2015 23:23:41  #13

Yes that's it - thanks.  Looks pretty complex in that a whole cartload of other things must be re-checked following any adjustment.  I'll take this very slowly indeed, and do nothing until I understand it all.

Sincerely,
beak.

13-9-2015 09:25:11  #14

I'm with you on this one! I love loading up a new ribbon...plus I am sure that it couldn't hurt for us to be buying ribbons and keeping the factories rolling. I would love to see inside of one of the ribbon factories. I recently gave a silk ribbon a try, and I am not sure if I am going to be able to go back to nylon! The type is so clear, defined, and dark with very little effort!

Board footera