You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-8-2015 22:50:18  #301

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

What ever price you paid for the SF DeLuxe, it will be well worth it. This Olympia is one of my favorites and is probably the one I use the most because I can take it anywhere with me. The feel is very solid and firm, unlike some other ultra-portables out there. And better yet, it's in cursive!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-8-2015 01:17:19  #302

I have the identical machine - you'll grow to appreciate it more and more, I think.  That solid action and true protable size is a winning combo!

ETA
Oh, and the zipper broke on mine too!  Local shoe repairer fitted some strong leather tabs with press-studs.  Works OK.

Last edited by beak (24-8-2015 20:14:04)

Sincerely,
beak.

23-8-2015 07:11:49  #303

I really do like it. The feel is much better than the little Rocket I have, that is comparable in size.  I wanted this one very badly. I did not expect the sellter to respond to my offer as it was much lower than the asking price, so I'm pleased that I got it.  I saw this machine weeks ago, I think I might have posted about it, and I waited to place an offer until it had been out on the display for a while hoping they'd be more willing to come down in price. I don't know if that strategy worked, but they did come down a lot more than I expected.

It has a very sad typed letter included in the case, where the owner was explaining why she had not written to some aquaintences (friends, family?) because of her mother's death. It also includes the original warranty card with the owner's name, date of purchase, and serial number. I put a type sample in the type database thread. I'm a sucker for cursives!

24-8-2015 11:59:50  #304

Hermes 3000 Cursive update:
Borrowed knobs from another Hermes 3000 I have (not a completely satisfactory fix but as I only use them one at a time I can live with it).
Sorted out the carriage/escapement problem - I turned the toothed bar round so the worn teeth are now at the right hand end of the carriage.  I then adjusted the position slightly so that the teeth fully engage with the escapement mechanism through the whole length of travel of the carriage.
And now some typing

26-8-2015 02:10:40  #305

Gaad, you guys and your cursive typewriters! 

That Royal HH I bought that has the large-cap/small-cap italic font - I may have posted something abot it on here - the guy was saying it was a great machine and worked really well before he put it in his garage 20 years ago, and 'only needed some oil'... well, I've sold it. For the princely sum of £6.50. the whole thing was gunged up, he had clearly only ever oiled, and never cleaned, and even the carriage return lever wouldn;t move when I first got it. I only paid £12.50 for it so not losing much, and am going to be glad to be rid of the thing frankly. I've sold it to a woman who is just beginning to collect typewriters and is really excited. Good. I'll tell her what it needs doing... but it's the closest I've ever come to a cursive machine (not very close!).

27-8-2015 00:34:20  #306

I've always wanted a nice italic typewriter. I feel that it's more *practical* than a cursive one because it's easier on the eyes and still looks cool. 

And too bad on the Royal HH. Those things I hear are great machines for just plain working. Also glad to see that it went to another collector!

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

30-8-2015 13:03:07  #307

I couldn't resist this one, a virtually unused 1975 Smith Corona GT Ghia complete with go faster stripes on the case and tyre tread designed anti skid on the base and carriage return. It arrived in a very large cardboard box with a lifetime's supply of bubble wrap and air bags as this is one portable that does not travel well. It was an unwanted present and had only typed one thankyou letter before going back into its case. The margin stops were still set for Octavo sized paper. I paid £5 for it plus £4.80 postage. It also arrived with a note from its previous owner. Unbelievably, not every teenage girl in the seventies wanted a typewriter. There is a picture of it and one with its packaging on my flickr stream.
Oh! there seems to be problems linking with the new flickr and I do not seem to be able to post the pictures on here at the moment. Anyone any ideas on this?

Last edited by retro (30-8-2015 13:23:34)

30-8-2015 21:43:21  #308

I hit a garage sale today and picked up a Linea 88 Olivetti. It's large by huge but everything seems to work. I kinda like the look of it. Checking around the Internet it seems to be a love it or hate it type of machine. So far I have no compliants......

05-9-2015 05:29:49  #309

large x huge, lol.

I picked this up yesterday:

11-9-2015 13:22:05  #310

An Olympia typewriter for £5 collection only, on Ebay buy it now, so I did! I know nothing about Olympia but they used to have a good reputation and they seem to be well regarded on the forum. The seller also had an Adler Gabriele 25 also for £5 so I bought that as well. It was a nice trip to the seaside to collect them as well. I am not sure quite what Olympia I have bought though, perhaps somebody can help me out here. The serial no. is 4925142 so I think it is an SM9. It has an unusual font, similar to the Adler Technik font I think. The ribbon was in excellent condition, a cotton one and it was on metal silver spools. Does anyone know when cotton ribbon and metal spools were replaced with nylon ribbons on plastic spools? Must have been ages ago. The typewriter was in pristine condition, not even dusty and the works were super clean, not seen one like that before including mine! It types like a dream, wish I had one before now.
The Adler Gabriele 25 was in the same condition except for the case which cleaned up nicely. This was a Which magazine best buy in 1973. It's a nice machine too but hardly in the same league as the  Olympia.
Thanks to the latest flickr update I am still unable to download pictures so if it is okay this is a link to the Olympia advert on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Olympia-typewriter-/331619017085?hash=item4d3608a17d

Last edited by retro (11-9-2015 13:30:30)

Board footera