You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-8-2015 12:42:02  #1

Remmington portable

I have just purchased a Remmington portable on my trip throughout Portland Oregon and found this typewriter. I have looked all over the internet and have had no luck finding any info on this type. It is plum in color and is marked in gold lettering saying "by special appointment to the king of" and the rest is worn off. It also has Smith Premier typewriter company and Bangkok written just above the keys. Could anyone supply any information on this.

26-8-2015 15:37:05  #2

Re: Remmington portable

The best source of information on Remington Portables I have found is here: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/rem-portables.htm

26-8-2015 15:37:25  #3

A photo of the machine would be required. You can only post photos after you've created three posts in the forum, and instructions can be found in the FAQ topic in the Type Talk sub-forum.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

26-8-2015 18:17:37  #4

Thanks for the quick response.
I have looked on the Xavier site and had no luck with my particular style. As soon as I can I will add some photos. In the mean time I will keep searching for it. I live in Redondo and would love to bring it to someone who really knows about the old models.

26-8-2015 18:20:03  #5

I believe I found the serial number so I will do more research.

27-8-2015 02:20:38  #6

Hi, Mintertim - this sounds interesting! If you posted the serial number on here maybe it would help people try and figure out what youve got. 

Thrre are two aspects to what you have: one is the make and model and year. This is easy enough to figure out, and once you've posted ONE more comment on here you can show us a picture! For example, is it like this? 
https://www.etsy.com/listing/114663403/working-remington-portable-no-2

The second aspect is the question of the royal appointment, and the Bangkok connection. This sounds interesting. Given that it says Bangkok on it, the royal appointment is probably to the king of Siam (or Thailand, if it was made after 1949). That's exciting! 

Richard Polt, who runs the website you were referred to earlier, is really good at sleuthing out the stories behind machines that seem to be a bit mysterious. He recently did a series of blog posts about a typewriter he came across that appeared to be made in India... 

Anyway, this sounds fun, and I'm sure lots of us on the forum will love hearing about it.

Welcome! 

27-8-2015 10:52:48  #7

Thanks speedtyper. I will post some pictures soon.

28-8-2015 15:16:35  #8

Here is my serial number to my machine.V860598. I hope I can send a picture after this post

01-9-2015 11:42:05  #9

Hi Mintertim, well I have had a look on the Typewriter Database - the serial number you mention seems to belong to a Model 5 Streamline, made in 1936.

Have you done a Google image search on your typewriter?

Here's the result of a search on the Model 5 Streamline
And here's the result of a search on the Portable #2.

It's possible your typewriter falls into one of the black holes that appear to exist in the annals of production... but this royal warrant is interesting. I wonder how you'd go about researching that... 

Board footera