You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-6-2013 18:42:02  #1

New acquisition: Fox No. 1 Portable

I only got one reply to my query about the value of a Fox No. 1 Portable, but I'm living on the edge so i went for it anyway. It cost me three hours of sitting in an auction and one hundred Canadian dollars.

It's obviously not in the greatest condition, but a good cleaning and some restoration will do wonders. My biggest worry is the three missing type slugs.

Last edited by Foljambe (18-6-2013 18:49:17)

19-6-2013 13:19:29  #2

Re: New acquisition: Fox No. 1 Portable

Have you got a plan for the missing slugs? Aside from keeping your eyes open for a scrap machine of the same model, I'm not sure what you could do.

19-6-2013 14:15:42  #3

My hope is to find someone with a broken up Fox No. 1. If the Fox No. 2 and Sterling have identical slugs that's also a possibility. The only other option is to make like William Morris and start manufacturing type, and I'm not sure I'm up for that. I'll worry about getting the cat hair out of it first.

19-6-2013 23:48:27  #4

The slugs aren't the only missing parts; there should be two paper fingers kissing that platen.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

20-6-2013 01:56:04  #5

I can see one. I reckon the other probably snapped off. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

20-6-2013 07:33:45  #6

Well, boys, looks like I bought myself a project...

21-6-2013 13:12:42  #7

I've never come across one in the UK, but will keep an eye out for you. It would be fantastic to see this one restored.

16-4-2014 08:14:08  #8

Hi All,

Looking at the pictures of the Fox portable, i wonder if it is possible to 'transplant' the slugs from a different, scrap typewriter, obviously depending on how generic these parts are. Even if you only get the letters correct you will be able to use it (when it's cleaned and restored as far as possible) until you can source the 'proper' parts.
I would imagine that the slugs are relatively standard (but don't hold me to that !!)

Alan.
P.s How are you getting along with this now ?

16-4-2014 11:42:57  #9

At the very least you would have to find/use slugs from another machine of that era; three characters per slug is not what I would call common. I don't collect early typewriters and none of the typers that I own from the late '20s onward have more than two characters per slug.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-4-2014 15:46:36  #10

It 'may' be possible to replace the missing slugs  ('typeface' in English parlance) by doing three split typesolders on each typebar.  A normal split typesolder is a pretty skilled job, and many typewriter engineers baulk at doing this.  Three on one typebar would be very difficult - but not impossible.  Your biggest challenge might be finding someone skilled enough and willing to take it on !

Board footera