You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-7-2015 13:17:03  #1

My New British Oliver (?)

I'm a newbie on the typewriting front, so bear with me!  I bought this back in February, but now that my exams are over, I only just got around to testing it out. The description said that it was in great working condition - and for £25 I thought that I might as well go for it. Came with a fully functioning original case - minus keys and accessories, though.

Well. I got it, and a couple of minor issues I was able to fix with a little cleaning later - and it's still a little messed up. It does type, though..or rather, it did after the first clean. Briefly. As in, I got a page out of it.

I can see dust inside, behind the casing, but some of the screws are so tightly jammed in place that I'd have to use an electric drill to get them out for cleaning. Which I'd hate to do, to be honest.

I couldn't find anything on this particular model with the glass keys (assuming that the keys are the original ones), but I'm told by the seller that it's a 1929 one, put together in Croydon. But I honestly wouldn't know either way. So yes! Hit me with your typewriter knowledge! 

Appearance-wise, I can't really fault it, though; it definitely fits the image I had of the kind of typewriter that I wanted (thoguh a vintage Olivetti was choice no.1)

Sorry for not linking it directly. First post! 

Last edited by Uwe (23-7-2015 13:52:33)

23-7-2015 15:39:55  #2

Re: My New British Oliver (?)

Hm. I don't think it's from 1929, but from the 40's or 50's. All of the examples I've seen of the model here are from the post war period. Not that I would know, I only have a rusty Oliver #5 and I've never even seen an Oliver portable before.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

23-7-2015 16:31:23  #3

Duluoz wrote:

I'm told by the seller that it's a 1929 one, put together in Croydon. But I honestly wouldn't know either way. So yes! Hit me with your typewriter knowledge!  

Definitely not from the '20s. I'm pretty sure it's a late '40s, early '50s model. The serial number will tell you the exact year.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-9-2015 12:15:37  #4

I never knew that company made portables... Unless its a different company...

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

01-9-2015 12:22:33  #5

TypewriterGuy,

It basically is a different company. If I'm correct, in the 20's a British company bought the rights to the Oliver typewriter and the Oliver brand and so operation moved over seas to Britain. The portable you see here is not related to the oringinal Oliver company from Chicago, but since it does bare Oliver name, it technically is from the same company.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

01-9-2015 19:25:17  #6

Hi. No matter what company or decade of manufacture -- you say that you got a page out of it after the first clean? That probably means that you need to keep cleaning... and cleaning. Sometimes the first clean seems to mess things up. You'll find various advice here on what's best to use, but white spirits and denatured alcohol seem to be favourites. Keep working at it!

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

02-9-2015 09:39:03  #7

The Oliver portable you have shown was produced in the 1950's, by British Oliver Typewriters Ltd., and is a license-built member of the "Patria" family of portables which was produced eventually in a number of countries under a wide array of names.  For my mind the Oliver variant you own is the most distinctive.  A good find.

-Will Davis

Board footera