You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-9-2015 11:31:51  #1

Under Champion - First Project - Please Help

Hello everyone,

I have been interested in typewriters for a long time, and have been lurking on this forum for a while now. I registered today, because I need some help, and I was hoping someone here might be able to lend me a hand.

Two weeks ago, I purchased a 1938 Underwood Champion portable. It was really grimy, but mechanically seemed to be working quite well. I started to clean it up, and was very careful to not damage anything.

When I removed the platen, a metal part with a hook, a small wheel, and a spring clattered out. As far as I can tell, it isn't broken. But I have no idea how the heck to put it back in the typewriter, or where exactly it is supposed to go. I'm not even sure of the name, so I included a picture.

Can anyone tell me what this thing is called, where exactly it is supposed to go, and how to get it reattached?

Here are two more pictures from where it came. I believe the spring may have been standing over that small round hole. I also believe that the small wheel on the top of the part may roll against the platen. But I'm not sure.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Last edited by brikhaus (11-9-2015 16:19:45)

11-9-2015 12:57:45  #2

Re: Under Champion - First Project - Please Help

brikhaus, in the future please follow these instructionsfor posting photos.

I think your theory is correct that the cup/hook portion of the lever fits against the shaft tube for the platen. If need be I can take a look at a Champion to confirm.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-9-2015 13:10:10  #3

Uwe,

I will get the images fixed after I get home from work. I am on mobile now, so I am limited at the moment.

If you would be able to post a photo or two of how it is supposed to look, I would be eternally grateful to you.

Thank you for you help.

Last edited by brikhaus (11-9-2015 13:10:33)

11-9-2015 16:23:36  #4

brikhaus wrote:

I will get the images fixed after I get home from work.

There's no need, I've already edited your post so that the images appear in it. I'll have to try and find my Champion since the Universal I just looked at doesn't have that particular part.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-9-2015 13:15:05  #5

I got the problem fixed. I thought I'd update the thread in case anyone in the future ever has the same problem as me.

So, if you look at the close-up of the carriage, you'll see (in the bottom left) a part that looks like two hexagonal nuts with a groove in between them.

The mystery piece's hook fits into the groove. Hook it in, and then rotate the mystery piece down until the spring is resting over the small circular hole. Once it's in place, the platen goes over it.

That's it!

Board footera