You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-3-2013 21:06:04  #1

WTB: Paper Support for Olympia

Hi there: I have a portable Olympia -- I think it's a 'Traveller', though there is no identification on the machine itself -- in really nice condition with a very stylish carrying case. I REALLY like this one. The only issue is that the paper support has been broken off. I'm hoping that someone might be able to provide a replacement. Thanks.

Last edited by Valiant (15-3-2013 21:09:39)

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

16-3-2013 13:38:58  #2

Re: WTB: Paper Support for Olympia

Definitely a Traveller model. For what it's worth, the same part from a Traveller De Luxe would probably also fit your machine. I took a look at the paper support on both of mine and they appear to be identical.

That's a remarkably clean break. Have you looked under the carriage shroud at the other section of the broken support? Maybe it's something that could be easily welded back together?

Last edited by Uwe (16-3-2013 13:44:41)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-3-2013 20:42:24  #3

Thanks for your suggestion of welding Uwe, but I think that might be problematic for cosmetic and practical reasons (the weld might interfere with the spring action). But you did give me an idea: I might be able to drill holes to fit the support back onto the mechanism that is currently holding the broken base of the support. It might work if the width of the broken support is still wide enough at the base.

18-3-2013 21:22:01  #4

You can always grind a weld so that it's flush with the metal around it and all you would see is a line where the break was. Hell, you could even get it re-chromed... but that would be overkill for a commonly available machine. However, your idea to drill out the broken off piece and remount it, is probably the best idea. Good luck and keep us posted.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

19-3-2013 12:58:20  #5

Just thought I'd add something else: I just discovered that the paper support on the Traveller is identical to the one used on the Splendid 66 and Splendid 99. Interestingly the paper support on the Splendid 33 is different and I've just added it to the list I'm compiling on the differences between these three Olympia SF variants.

In short, you should be able to source that part from other Olympia SF models, not just the Traveller. 

19-3-2013 15:53:06  #6

Thanks for the tip, Uwe. I'll be keeping an eye out for a 'parts' model.

17-9-2015 00:39:57  #7

I have a 1974 SM9. It has the exact same issue. My break is identical. I too need the same part!

17-9-2015 11:37:20  #8

Broken paper rests are a common sight and I suspect that replacements were frequently sold by repair shops back in the day. It is too easy to tilt a typewriter on to its back or close a travel case lid forgetting that the paper rest is deployed, not until it has snapped off of the machine. I came close to doing it myself once.

Board footera