You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-9-2015 13:05:03  #1

Question about Olympia Socialite repairs

Hi all. I believe this is my first post here, and I have a question about an Olympia Socialite for sale. Before I make an offer, I want to see if these couple of problems are challenges that I can fix myself (I've got some experience fixing simple linkage stuff on Olympias, and the ubiquitous carriage dragging syndrome), or if I should pass on this one.

Anyway, here's what her ad states, "...carriage, when you strike the letters releases shifting the carriage all the way to the left and does not go left to right very easily...and caps button does not engage." I've sent a couple of follow up questions to get more info on the carriage thing, but haven't heard back yet.

Does this carriage problem sound like it could be related to the bane of the old Olympian's, the dragging carriage syndrome fixed by new washers? Or does this say to you, "uh oh, may be more serious than you think"?

The shift key not engaging doesn't sound all too terrible, but sounds like the carriage is not rising. But, again, I'm not sure.

Any help or advice on this would be great. I know it's not much to go on, but that's all she's given me for now.

Thanks,
Mahlon

18-9-2015 13:25:17  #2

Re: Question about Olympia Socialite repairs

Although I'd hardly describe it as a "bane", the case washers that sometimes require replacement on older SM models have nothing to do with SF-based machines such as the Socialite. The auction you're talking about has a $34 Buy it Now. There are others Socialite models currently availabe, one at $75 that apparently works well, so maybe it would be worthwhile looking at that one instead if these mechanical issues sound problematic to you? However, if you do end up with this Olympia it sounds like it might have an escapement issue, so as long as you're comfortable with working on that component you shouldn't be too worried about buying it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-9-2015 14:45:45  #3

Thanks, Uwe, for the help. "Bane" may be too strong a word Just that I've had that issue with all four Olympia SMs so far. I was hoping to get a good deal on a Socialite, but I am not that knowledgeable about escapements so perhaps I should look at other auctions.

Mahlon

18-9-2015 15:29:56  #4

The cap lock not engaging is most likely either a missing spring or just dirt. The carriage problem sounds like the carriage rail needs to be cleaned and oiled.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

18-9-2015 19:25:50  #5

I actually was looking at this one earlier this month, but the problems weren't worth the money for me. 

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera