You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

16-9-2015 13:20:14  #1

Question about Platen and Carriage Advancement

I've got another head-scratcher question for everybody.

I've got my Underwood Champion portable all put together, but there is an issue with the carriage advancement. Please note, this was an issue before I ever took any parts out.

So, the platen is a cylinder and doesn't have sides, per se, but let's pretend it has three sides on its curvature, each taking up an equal part of the cylinder: Sides A, B, and C.

When Side A is facing me, the carriage advances with no problem whatsoever. When Side B is facing me, the carriage will advance to exactly the halfway point and then stop. When Side C is facing me, the carriage will not advance at all. In fact, when Side C is facing me, if you manually push the carriage to the right and let go, it will forcefully slide all the way back to the left. It's like something isn't catching.

If I manually rotate the platen back from Side C to Side A, it will go back to working perfectly again.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance for any ideas/input.

16-9-2015 15:11:15  #2

Re: Question about Platen and Carriage Advancement

That sounds very unusual. Its not a dirt problem.  As soon as you switch from side C to A, does it instantly work better? Or is it a gradual change?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

16-9-2015 21:48:42  #3

So, the change seems to be more instant rather than gradual. Not sure what to make of it.

17-9-2015 11:26:40  #4

If I correctly recall from a previous thread of yours, you have had the platen out of the machine, correct? I'd suggest removing it again and verifying that the carriage moves freely without it in place, then examine the platen and it's mounting points to see what mechanical part is being twisted with it (and shouldn't be) and is fouling everything up.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-9-2015 14:47:15  #5

Uwe, he did say "Please note, this was an issue before I ever took any parts out.". But, maybe your right. Try what Uwe said and take out the platen and see if thats the problem.

Back from a long break.

22-9-2015 13:21:49  #6

Thanks for the help, everyone.

I cleaned up the platen again. The weird three side problem is now gone, and I am left with a single consistent problem.

When I type and get to the middle of the platen, the carriage will skip 3-4 places, and then return to normal.

Any suggestions? Thanks again!

22-9-2015 18:20:59  #7

May be either a too high of a tension on the mainspring (I doubt it)
Or a worn tooth on the escapment (Better chance of happening) 

It happens every time? And did it happen before you cleaned the platen?

Back from a long break.

23-9-2015 12:31:04  #8

Sounds more like a rack issue to me. If the skipping only happens at the same three spaces in the carriage travel, how could it possibly be a "worn tooth on the escapement"? To my knowledge the ratio of escapement wheel or pinion teeth to rack teeth is not one to one.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

23-9-2015 14:58:30  #9

How does a tooth on either get worn out anyways?

Back from a long break.

23-9-2015 17:09:52  #10

TypewriterGuy wrote:

How does a tooth on either get worn out anyways?

Take your pick: normal wear and tear, abuse, improperly adjusted components, and lack of maintenance are all possibilities that come to mind. And abuse isn't necessarily intentional; someone who doesn't know what they're doing with a typewriter, whether they're just using it or tyring to repair it, can certainaly damage to a machine. I've seen my share of people handling typewriters in a manner that indicates that they have absolutley no appreciation for how complex and fine-tuned the components that make up the machine are.

Board footera