You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-4-2013 19:24:14  #61

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Valiant -
I've only been three times so far, and I've been so wrapped up in my own booth that I haven't even looked around. I know of two other typewriters that have been there, but I'm already becoming the "go to guy" for them, because I have at least 4 or 5 every week. I won't put them out unless they're in working condition, so I have quite a few in my basement that have yet to see the market. Once I get my area set up for restoration I will be bringing them back to life. I mostly sell the newer ones because I can't bear to part with the beautiful old ones. I have an Everest Mod 90 that I forced myself to take, because I'm supposed to be trying to make a living, but I put a price of $200 on it and was relieved to take it home at the end of the day.

30-4-2013 19:44:35  #62

The Coronas never appealed to me as much as the other portables, but that's a beautiful machine. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

05-5-2013 01:34:33  #63

In the words of the great Fats Waller: 

"I've got my fingers crossed,
Not that I'm superstitious,
I just think it's too good to be true..."

I've got my eyes on a 1920s/30s Imperial desktop typewriter right now. It'll weigh a ton and a half, but it'll be awesome. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

14-5-2013 03:00:06  #64

Remington Portable No.1 / 1922 model.

Very pleased as it seems to be a very nice machine in use; light and fast action, pleasant 11pt typeface, very like another early Remington Portable that I have.  Shall probably clean up and pass on, though, and look for another from my wish list instead.  It is very cute though, and surprisingly nice to use.

Typeface added to the appropriate thread.

Last edited by beak (14-5-2013 03:01:58)

Sincerely,
beak.

04-6-2013 02:41:33  #65

WOW!   My first Olympia SM4 arrived today, and it's love at first sight.  I already feel that my search for the perfect machine (for me) may be near the end, but I do want to get to know a couple of Alpinas before I can say for certain - and they are on there way, but by sea, so that may take a while.  

I have some cleaning and minor adjustment to do to he SM4, and shall post full review with pictures before too long, assuming that would be useful.

Sincerely,
beak.

04-6-2013 10:34:39  #66

I bought a rusty old 1904 Remington No.6 at the flea market Sunday for $20.  I needed a shoulder screw and the small coiled spring at the pivot point of the line advance lever (carriage return).  Considering that the typewriter (parts) were right there I felt ok about buying a junker.  I also needed the paper shelf but it had poor paint.

I found out later that night that I made a very good buy because I soon became aware that it was a machine that I was not hesitant to work on and to try to see how things worked.  Many of the typebars were very stiff so some drops of Liquid Wrench got them moving, all but the "O" which had it's wooden lever under the tyepwriter disengaged from the rear where it fits over a part of the frame.  

I figured out how to locate it properly then turned my attention to another letter which was not operating.  The rod that hooks to the typebar pivot had come loose and I was quickly able to see how it went back together.

So, a junker for not too much money ($20 but still a hunk of change for a "useless" typewriter) was, for me, a very good deal.  And I can work on it some more and will have to to get that pesky shoulder screw loose.

The carrage was not moving either when I got it.  Rusted in place but soon I got that moving pretty well.   When I say junker it's not too bad to restore but I doubt that anyone would ever take on the task on a relatively common machine.  I have three others; 1894 and two 1907s.

Two other new typewriters:  A very nice working Smith Premier No.10 and a clean Underwood No.5 (1923 I think) with a unique metal and felt soundproof box that the typewriter sits into.  You may have seen it on ebay in March.

05-6-2013 10:14:50  #67

Here is a link to a photo of the Remington No.6 which I mentioned in my post right above.  It is not as exciting as many of the machines in our collections but it has its own charm in its degraded state I think.

Much of this old typer was rusted either tightly or wanted to move only reluctantly.  Now the keys are all pretty smooth as well as the carriage and tab stops.  I have no plans to restore it or take it further since it is a parts machine.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=348637078596886&set=gm.586091628088212&type=1&theater

Last edited by Steve Stephens (05-6-2013 10:17:16)

05-6-2013 13:33:54  #68

beak wrote:

Remington Portable No.1 / 1922 model.

Very pleased as it seems to be a very nice machine in use; light and fast action, pleasant 11pt typeface, very like another early Remington Portable that I have.  Shall probably clean up and pass on, though, and look for another from my wish list instead.  It is very cute though, and surprisingly nice to use.

I picked up one of these Remington's recently on eBay. It cost £5 (not including postage). When it arrived I found it was completely siezed up. Turned out that the rollers were flattened and hard, and one end of the platen was rubbing against the carriage (probably not a problem when the rubber was softer). Anyway, I replaced all the rollers with lengths of hose and trimed back the platen so there was no contact, and now it works very well (though two of the rollers grip a little too tight - I'll have to see about that).

I too was surprised by the pleasant typing action. Very responsive. The keys seem to fly at the paper.

03-7-2013 03:33:25  #69

PS
The machine seems very easy to service; undoing two big screws enables the whole thing to be opened up easily, and it lies flat on its back or rear.

ETA
After acouple of days heavy use, personal judgement is the same; somewhat unreliable and 'mushy' feel to the whole thing. When I return to my rock-solid Olympia SM4 the difference is very noticable.

Last edited by beak (04-7-2013 07:17:55)

Sincerely,
beak.

03-7-2013 17:11:58  #70

Nice. But I prefer the more angular look of the Lettera 25. Seems a good typer though.

Board footera