You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-9-2015 09:10:04  #1

Whats the strangest thing you have found in a typewriter?

I was cleaning out a Royal #10 and found a thimble in the ribbon mechanism. 

I was just cleaning an Underwood Master today and found a sewing needle with the point pointing downward. Luckily it was not sitting on my lap!

Whats with all this sewing stuff?

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

27-9-2015 12:14:38  #2

Re: Whats the strangest thing you have found in a typewriter?

I got a deal when I bought a 40s Underwood that wasn't working properly -- a number of the keys were jammed, so the seller sold it to me for a very reasonable price. When I got it home and started investigating I dicovered a dollar coin lodged inside. Once the coin was removed everything worked fine.

Another time I bought a Commodore portable and found a Commodore logo rattling around inside -- but the machine HAD the Commodore logo fixed to the outside of the machine, so it must have been dropped in accidentally at the factory.

I got the best surprise with another 40s Underwood that had been rescued from someone's shed. When I got it home I put it on the kitchen counter and tested all the functions and keys. Everything worked reasonably well but when I picked it up to put it back in its case I found a three-inch moth sitting on the counter -- looking a little disgruntled, I think, for having been dislodged from its home! It had escaped harm so I scooped it up and let it go in the backyard  .

Last edited by Valiant (27-9-2015 12:17:55)

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

27-9-2015 13:06:24  #3

Haha! Im probably going to be finding more things each typewriter I work on.
What type of dollar coin came from the first one?

Back from a long break.

27-9-2015 13:59:06  #4

A Westlife CD.

27-9-2015 14:02:46  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Haha! Im probably going to be finding more things each typewriter I work on.
What type of dollar coin came from the first one?

It was a Canadian dollar coin (a 'loonie'). 😊

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the typewriter."

27-9-2015 18:22:42  #6

@Kat Well thats interesting. A full size CD? How did it fit?

Back from a long break.

27-9-2015 22:20:01  #7

It looks like I haven't found anything of interest compared to what I've been reading here. There has been a surprising number of mouse nests (and all the flotsam associate with them such as nuts, berries, and a lot of poop). In one SG1 I recall pulling out a number of broken parts from children's toys.

Then there was a newly acquired SM3 that I was testing out for the first time. I was mystified by the wildly changing issues it had. The carriage would jam, and then move properly, but only when a number of keys stopped working. Thinking there was a ghost in the machine, I flipped the machine over and found a lollipop stick bouncing around in the works.

The normal by-products of a mouse infestation that sprinkle out of a machine even before you begin to clean it: wood chips, poop, nut shells, and in this case, the top of a Lego block.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

28-9-2015 04:37:44  #8

TypewriterGuy wrote:

@Kat Well thats interesting. A full size CD? How did it fit?

At the bottom! It must have just got mixed up in there somehow and no one had opened it up for a while. The machine never worked properly, maybe it was haunted.

28-9-2015 05:11:28  #9

Im actually getting a remington portable in a few days. Thephoto I saw on craigslist was covered in spider webs. Uh oh... I dont really like spiders...

Back from a long break.

28-9-2015 13:01:33  #10

I haven't found anything crazy in any of my typewriters (yet) but one of my typewriters still had a love letter on it. The letter was typed halfway through and never finished. 

Board footera