You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-10-2015 15:31:45  #1

Doing Work on Smith-Corona Silent-Super

Hi all.

I've always wanted a typewriter since I was a kid, and not too long ago I took the plunge and bought myself one. I was an antique store near where I live looking for furniture when I saw they had a section of typewriters for sale, an Underwood, a couple of Royals, and this worn Smith-Corona Silent-Super. I knew the instant that I saw it that it was the perfect size for me, despite its cosmetic flaws. I took it home and began reading up on basic maintence and care for it, but I knew that she needed some love.

The paint has chipped in some spots and it has gone from being this warm tan color to a kind of dirty cream. I highly doubt that I could find a similar paint to try and patch it up, so I figured that I would give her a fresh paint job, something real simple: black. Original, I know. I haven't found anything through searching online in regards to how to properly fix these chips and repaint it (it has this rough texture which looks its from age unless I'm mistaken) as most everything I've found has been for plastic body typewriters. What my current plan is, unless someone's actually done this and can offer some advice, is to use a sander and take off the paint to the bare metal and then hit it with a couple layers of paint. There are these pinstripes would are really neat and I'd love to keep those if anyone knows of any trick.

This is the link to the album http://imgur.com/a/kdcyK

Thanks!

Last edited by lvazd (08-10-2015 20:21:37)

08-10-2015 17:54:35  #2

Re: Doing Work on Smith-Corona Silent-Super

Well, first off we should really have a picture to determine if the paint is worth keeping, because if you got yourself a rare shade of a color, we dont want to destroy that.

IF you do repaint, you can custom order new decals from here: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TypewriterDecalShop/reviews?ref=shop_info

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

08-10-2015 20:13:31  #3

I know, and I'm sorry about that. Im just finishing up with moving and don't have internet yet so I'm doing this from my phone. After I post this, I should be able to add the link which I'll edit into this post and the main post at the top.

I searched that site when I first got ready to start this but I didn't see any labels for my typewriter. I think I've found a guy who is going to help me out with the labels. Basically, I'm going to do stencils and then just paint the names onto the typer. I've been thinking about possibly redoing the keys as well.

Edit: this is the link to the album http://imgur.com/a/kdcyK

Last edited by lvazd (08-10-2015 20:16:03)

09-10-2015 06:43:20  #4

Dont paint the names if you want the machine as colse as original as possible, the link I provided, has a button that says you can request a custom order.

Back from a long break.

09-10-2015 06:45:07  #5

EDIT Looked at the photos. Its not anything special, and you will be giving it some love, so go and paint it what ever you like! FOr the front logo that says smith corona, I would cover it with tape to protect it. The logo that says silent super, you can send a photo to the gu in the link I provided and he will make an exact replica for you.

Back from a long break.

09-10-2015 11:01:30  #6

My intentions as far painting the names where to use some painters tape and an exacto knife to cover up the front logo, and after the paint dries hit it with a brushed steel for contrast. The names that are painted on I've measured out where they are so when I get the stencils I can just easily paint them in. I use to work on model airplanes and it's how i use to add my name to the plane.

Also do you have any idea about the chips? I had thought about using a little bondo on them but wasn't entirely sure if it wouldn't be better just to sand it down.

Last edited by lvazd (09-10-2015 11:04:25)

Board footera