You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-10-2015 13:06:29  #11

Re: Royal Quiet De Luxe

theoldman wrote:

Did my best to clean this one up. Not bad for $35. Considered removing the sticker but I'm afraid it will not go well. At least the office supply company from that time period was located in my home town.

A pretty machine!  I notice that you use the capital i rather than the lower case L (hard to state this in this e-mail typeface, since they look the same!) in typing the date. Not to put you on the spot, but how come?  Others seem to do this also.

10-10-2015 23:24:03  #12

theoldman wrote:

Did my best to clean this one up. Not bad for $35. Considered removing the sticker but I'm afraid it will not go well. At least the office supply company from that time period was located in my home town.

It would be a shame if you removed that decal. It looks awesome, and helps tell the history of this typewriter. 

When you aren't looking for it... you ALWAYS find it!!!

27-10-2015 18:45:05  #13

I was just wondering about oiling this machine. I did a thorough cleaning but I didn't apply any oil. This machine will basically sit on display for now. Should I still oil it?

If so - I could use a crash course on oiling a typewriter!

27-10-2015 19:40:11  #14

Retro-Z wrote:

It would be a shame if you removed that decal. It looks awesome, and helps tell the history of this typewriter. 

Nobody asked me, but... I agree. I think that decal enhances rather than detracts. It's not like a price sticker that was just slapped on.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

28-10-2015 02:44:08  #15

Hi, theoldman - well, I agree with the others about that service sticker - it's a really nice Art Deco design, it  looks fine... of course it's annoying how many firms used to slap their stickers right on the front, but this one is pretty...

As for oiling, someone else can give you definitive instructions, but the basic rules are to use a very thin oil, like sewing machine oil. NOT WD40 or 3-in-one. And to use very, very little of it - even a drop on the head of a pin, along the carriage rails, might be enough. Never put oil in the segment.

28-10-2015 09:39:48  #16

theoldman wrote:

I could use a crash course on oiling a typewriter!

Read Part 3, 4, and Oiling Tips in theDunk Cleaning thread.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

31-10-2015 21:02:07  #17

Thanks everyone. I do like the sticker now. It does tell a story. The company was a hometown company operating during the 50's. This is the second typewriter I own with stickers letting me know that the machine was from my hometown.

And I read read over those postings on oiling.

01-11-2015 05:17:22  #18

"As for oiling, someone else can give you definitive instructions, but the basic rules are to use a very thin oil, like sewing machine oil. NOT WD40 or 3-in-one. And to use very, very little of it - even a drop on the head of a pin, along the carriage rails, might be enough."
Actually, it depends on the cndition of the rails. If they are greasy, or dirty, and have not been degreased yet. THEY NEED TO BE BEFORE PUTING ON OIL! Second, for a machine that has not been used for atleast 40 years, you will need more oil than a pin head. Those were in the original instructions. Id say put more like on the end of a Q-Tip.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

01-11-2015 17:34:17  #19

I was assuming that the machine was at least clean... 

02-11-2015 00:09:32  #20

KatLondon wrote:

Ohh, speed control!? What's that, Uwe? Mine's a 1950 and the type bunches up something awful unless you type like a metronome - and even then it does it a bit... 

You posted this a while ago, but I am curious what you meant by "the type bunches up". I took it to mean that the type bars jammed into a bunch in midair, but now I'm thinking you meant that the carriage had not had time to move over a full space for the next letter. Clearly what Uwe described could help with the second but not the first.

I find that if I exceed the speed of type for certain common letter combinations the first is the usual result, but just occasionally I see the second, if the type bars happen to have missed each other in flight. Except on the Underwood 5 which was the original machine motivating me to register, whose carriage moved so slowly when I received it that not only would you have to type like a metronome, you would have to set that metronome on Grave. Maybe Larghissimo.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

Board footera