You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-7-2013 05:39:24  #1

Two questions about the Remington model 12.

Hello,

I just got my hands on a Remington 12, it was extremely dusty and gritty and I cleaned everything carefully with alcohol and it looks tons better now and the keys no longer stick. While cleaning though, my hand accidentally hit the drawband and it snapped back onto it's spindle. It took me a while to figure out what small lever it is supposed to be pulling back to make sure the Carriage moves while typing. However, I have no idea how/where to wire it so it sits properly tight. Now when I type, the carriage will move every now and then, but not all the time. Could someone perhaps provide me with pictures or video showing me how to do this?

The second thing is, I have no idea how to put new ribbon in. I'm also looking for a tutorial of that. I've looked around on youtube and no luck so far.  I'm thrilled I found this forum and I hope you can help me. Extremely appreciated!

24-7-2013 07:01:57  #2

Re: Two questions about the Remington model 12.

I don't have a Remington 12 but hopefully general advice about the drawband system is enough for you.

The drawband drum has to be pre-tensioned before the drawband is rolled around it. This is achieved by resetting the system so that the drum is free of tension, then rolling the drum without winding the drawband around it, once the drum has enough tension (this you probably have to just figure out by trial and error), the drawband is rolled around the drum while the drum is hold still.

Generally the drum applies pull counterclockwise, meaning that you need to roll the drum clockwise to tense up the spring. Afterwards be sure to test that the carriage has enough pull even in far left.

Oh and a thing I had to learn about my oldest typewriter was that due to a connection between drawband and spool systems the drawband mechanism doesn't respond well to several continuous spaces. Your typewriter might have something similiar and that might be the cause of your problems with the drawband (space bar is such tempting key for testing carriage movement, isn't it?). Another related note is that in this connected case, any spool problems transfer into the drawband, e.g. if the spools are stuck, the drawband drum gets stuck too.

Last edited by tatte (24-7-2013 07:09:52)

24-7-2013 10:33:34  #3

First piece of advice - and this applies to most typewriter repair work - is to be patient. My patience is most tested while dealing with ball retainers when reinstalling a carriage, and the drawband/mainspring mechanism.

Just to be clear as to what happened to your machine, did the drawband end that is attached to the carriage come off and then the mainspring retracted it onto the drum? And then you reattached the drawband to the carriage and now the carriage doesn't move properly?

If that's the case, then tatte is right, the current tension on the drawband isn't enough. There are many, many ways you can increase the tension and they depend on the type of machine and its mainspring mechanism. What often works for me is just wrapping the drawband one more time around the mainspring drum; it's a two handed process and it requires... patience.

I don't have a Remington 12, but I know on some older Remington models there was actually a built-in tension adjustment mechanism, which made getting the correct tension a much easier task.

In case your machine has a similar feature, here are the instructions for using it that I copied from an old service manual:

"​The bracket holding the mainspring drum is located in the left rear corner of the typewriter's base frame and is accessible by removíng the typewriter unit from the frame.

To begin, the carriage should be fitted properly in its rails and must operate freely without binding before attempting mainspring tension adjustments. The typewriter should be checked to determine that it is being operated on a solid level table or desk, otherwise up-hill or down-hill travel will íncrease or decrease standard tension adjustment. 

The Drawband ist connected to the main spring drum stud as índicated in the drawing and to the carriage drawband anchor stud under the right end of the carriage casting.

Adjustments:

Mainspring tension should be set suffícíently to move the carriage to the extreme left.

1. To increase mainspring tension, turn the equalizer pinion screw clockwise. Equalizer pinion Screw is accessible after removing back panel. Detent pawl will hold in each position, locking the drum detent.

2. To decrease mainspring tension, work the detent pawl up and down."

Last edited by Uwe (24-7-2013 10:41:39)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-7-2013 11:02:51  #4

Wonderful! Thanks so much Tatte and Uwe!

Just to be clear as to what happened to your machine, did the drawband end that is attached to the carriage come off and then the mainspring retracted it onto the drum? And then you reattached the drawband to the carriage and now the carriage doesn't move properly?

That is exactly what happened.
Thanks so much for the advice! I'm gonna try that and report back!

Board footera