You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-10-2015 04:56:35  #11

Re: Question About a Silent Super For Sale

I bid and won a SM3 listed as cursive on ebay.  I was so excited and wrote the seller my usual "please pack well, I'll pay extra if necessary, yada yada".  He wrote me back and something in the way he worded his message gave me 2nd thoughts.  I messaged back and asked him if he was sure it was cursive.  He said he thought it was based on another listing he saw that made him think all sm3's were cursive.  Um... no...  I asked him to check and he said the typewriter was already packed up, he'd have to undo it.  I said, well, that was the only way to tell.

Anyway, it wasn't cursive and he cancelled the sale, but there you go.  Sometimes they just don't know what they have. But, I'm assuming you told this craigslist seller it wasn't cursive and they still left the listing?  That's not cool.

Last edited by Spazmelda (19-10-2015 04:59:14)

19-10-2015 11:57:18  #12

the crazy thing about the Craigslist listing is that there was a piece of paper in the typewriter so you could sample type on it.  it was clearly not cursive.  i think the seller had been told many times since it was part of an Estate Sale and the machine was still there after 3 days.  if it was truly cursive, it would have been snatched up on Day 1.  the seller was probably hoping some clueless person would just buy it without really giving mind to the cursive part.

19-10-2015 13:04:54  #13

Let's not forget that most sellers don't know anything about typewriters and many tend to throw in words that they've found during a Google search. I don't think we should automatically assume their ignorance is intentional deceit. Most sellers I contact in my area to point out mistakes in their ads (wrong year, model name, etc...) are very thankful and change their listings immediately.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera