You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

23-10-2015 23:38:22  #1

S-C Sterling red ribbon selector help!

I just bought a 1956 Sterling. The black ribbon works. The stencil setting works. When I set it to red, the part that moves the ribbon up goes up but doesn't come back down again and I can't see what I'm typing.    I very lightly lubed all parts underneath that are attached to that mechanism. I don't know what else to do! I've googled and googled and nothing.  Help!

also, does someone have a PDF of the manual? Thanks!

24-10-2015 00:13:41  #2

Re: S-C Sterling red ribbon selector help!

Found a manual to download! Yay

Still need help with the ribbon vibrator (at least I learned the proper part name form the manual).

24-10-2015 09:27:50  #3

Try some degreaser. Just because its lubricaed, it does not mean that its fully libricated. There may be built up gunk on the mechinism.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

24-10-2015 11:56:30  #4

You should always fully clean moving mechanical components so that they work freely 'dry' (without any oil) before actually oiling anything. A vibrator that is reluctant to repose is not an uncommon problem and can be caused by a number of issues. Sometimes even an incorrectly installed ribbon can prevent the vibrator from dropping. There are several linkages and pivot points for the vibrator, I'd suggest working through each with mineral spirits. Remove the ribbon from the vibrator and see if it works properly without it. And manually move it up and down to see if there is any mechanical resistance.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-10-2015 23:07:33  #5

TypewriterGuy wrote:

Try some degreaser. Just because its lubricaed, it does not mean that its fully libricated. There may be built up gunk on the mechinism.

The degreaser did the trick. The light lubrication was just on a few spits underneath.  The degreaser on a few points above loosened things a bit.  I Just kept typing and that worked the degreaser in and now it moves up and down freely. Thanks so much for the tip!

24-10-2015 23:09:54  #6

***spots**** not spits.   

25-10-2015 07:01:26  #7

Your welcome! And as uwe suggested, if you have mineral spirits, use those too!

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera