You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-10-2017 19:36:17  #1471

Re: Recent Acquisitions Thread

Many thanks! I'll have to bookmark that. I've been thinking about taking the frame to an auto-body shop and have them professionally paint the frame in their paint booth. (I was thinking firetruck red.) 

Though at this point, I still have an old Oliver 3 that I'm reassembling--so it may be a race to see which one gets finished first! (Both at the same time, probably.) 

07-10-2017 21:03:54  #1472

I bought this 1924 Corona 3 last week at a flea market. Has a different case than you normally see, no folding flap on the front. Also has a key with three accent/accented characters on it. Works very well but the print quality is not the best. http://typewriterdatabase.com/1924-corona-3.9344.typewriter

09-10-2017 09:27:33  #1473

What a nice acquisition.

10-10-2017 20:00:47  #1474

JP5, Thank you!
This is another machine I picked up over the weekend at an estate sale. It seems someone could type up many different math problems and equations with it! http://typewriterdatabase.com/1931-royal-p.9393.typewriter

17-10-2017 11:58:02  #1475

I finally had the time to open the package for my Olympia SM3 Deluxe. All I can say is wow. Much cooler than I thought. and much more compact than the photos lead me to believe. So far I have three Olivettis, which I find to be very cool looking machines, but the Olympia seems to type so well, maybe not as fast as the Lettera 32s, but with more authority if that makes sense...not that I can type anyway...

It will need a good cleaning, and the carriage seems to just barley catch the side of the outer shell as it slides to the right (when I use the carriage return). Hopefully that's a simple adjustment.

I also like the text more on the Olympia. It seems more sharp and crisp. It could be the ribbons on the Olivettis need replacing, perhaps. Actually I'm quite sure they need replacing.

This one is a nice dark green with black keys. Is the color called Aspen green? Most photos I see of the SM3 appear a few shades lighter green in online photos. 

Anyway, I didn't think I would not like the Olympia, but I am surprised at how much I like it immediately.

17-10-2017 12:26:23  #1476

Regarding the carriage scraping, look here: http://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=1046

The SM3 is a wonderful machine -- just oozes precision manufacture and quality materials. It may just come down to whether you like carriage shift or not, but I think that's easy to get used to.

17-10-2017 15:52:14  #1477

Thank you. Reading through that thread now. 

18-10-2017 16:18:37  #1478

So I just did finish replacing new flat washers. It worked! But from the photos in the link above, my carriage was rubbing on the front rail rather than the rear like in the picture, even a sliver of paint scrape on the body shell. Not sure that it matters, because replacing the washers seemed to do the trick, but the clearance is just barely clear, but it is. I wonder if I still need to make an adjustment or will it be fine?

18-10-2017 16:59:46  #1479

gnuyork wrote:

So I just did finish replacing new flat washers. It worked! But from the photos in the link above, my carriage was rubbing on the front rail rather than the rear like in the picture, even a sliver of paint scrape on the body shell. Not sure that it matters, because replacing the washers seemed to do the trick, but the clearance is just barely clear, but it is. I wonder if I still need to make an adjustment or will it be fine?

Probably will be more comfortable with more clearance, especially over time. The "adjustment" is a thicker washer.

19-10-2017 11:31:12  #1480

OK. I used 1/4 inch flat washers... which was a recommendation from a blog link in one of these threads. At least it's easy and inexpensive to swapo...I found that I could barely get the screwdriver in the slot though..very thin slot.

Board footera