You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-6-2014 14:05:31  #11

Re: 1945 Royal MM

Thank you.  When I got the machine I gave it a light cleaning so it worked smoothly.  Maybe that was not enough. As the skipping does not happen at regular intervals it sounds like something is sticking.  I will be more thorough next time.

03-7-2014 19:19:13  #12

Proper cleaning?  That sounds like a job for a pro.   Anyway,   I gave the innerds a good spraying with denatured alcahol--supposed to be a good solvent--blew it out with forced air, then sprayed with a light oil.  I used it a half hour later and it typed fine, no skipping.   The next day I used it again, and it was back to the old skipping after the "a" again.   
     The escapment wheel was not visable from any angle--it is a KMG--so I can only guess if I hit it with the solvent.   I downloaded a partial reair manual on line which shows the escaement, I think; maybe that will help.

04-7-2014 08:26:09  #13

The denatured alcohol melts all the goop and lets things move smoothly. Sadly, though, if the goop is still there, it tends to coagulate again, leaving you with sticky keys and sticky wheels.

17-7-2014 15:53:57  #14

Having done more cleaning of it,  I cannot see the escapement,  might have got it  sprayed though.   But, after cleaning and some oiling,  it worked fine for a while.   The next day it was back to thte old skip again.   Looks like the carriage will have to come off to see an adjustment.   Don't know how to do that just now.  Do you?

24-9-2015 13:18:16  #15

I noted your problem seems to be with the "a" key. I have a 1936 KHM that has a ribbon vibrator problem with the "a" key.  (Also the "q" key and the 1/2 key, but I don't use those so much in my writing) The problem with my KHM is that the U-bar is looser on its brackets than it should be, so it tilts a little to the side when I use any key on the far right or far left of the keyboard. it's supposed to move forward and backward evenly. Since the U-bar also trips the escapement as well as lifts the ribbon, it might be that yours is doing the same thing. If the escapement is only partially tripping it can sometimes allow more than one click of the star wheel to go by, especially if there is a lubrication problem. Just something else to look for... good luck!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

Board footera