You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-2-2022 22:02:22  #1

Hermes 10 Electric - In Coming...

Should have this one in my home by week's end.

It is a 1971 Hermes 10 Electric.

Cannot wait to get it in my hands.  More photos once I go through it on the work bench.

01-3-2022 10:36:11  #2

Re: Hermes 10 Electric - In Coming...

Although many (most?) will trip over themselves and pay a small fortune to get a first generation 3000 model, I think the designs of subsequent manual generations and this electric (and the Media models) are equally intriguing. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

01-3-2022 10:52:56  #3

I did have to pay a "dear" price of a bit over $ 200 USD since I was up against another bidder.

But two other machines for sale here in the USA out of Washington State have asking prices of $ 685 and $ 650, respectively.  First one is fully serviced with a new platen in a retail shop.  Second one is claimed to be fully refurbished and cleaned but interior photos show otherwise with lost of correcto-tape and eraser dust and sold from a home business.

Since I got some bargain prices for the last 2-3 machines in-coming, I do not mind spending a bit more on this Hermes 10.

I am hoping it types was well as my Olympia SGE-35 and my Facit 1840.  Similar size, weight, and foot print amongst these 3 machines.

I suspect the case with my in-coming machine is not factory-issue...but seems like it did its job keeping good care of the machine.  I will probably go with a nice cotton dust cover on the machine when in my home.

01-3-2022 10:57:56  #4

Curious...I watched Joe Van Cleave's video with his Hermes 10. 

His machine is a bit unusual in that it does not have a carriage release push button feature on the left side of his machine.  Only on the right side.

I am not sure if I have seen that, before, on any other Hermes 10...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfitKX_E-Rg

02-3-2022 14:03:57  #5

Here is the screen-grab of the machine in Joe's video, above, with the lack of a platen knob on the left side.

03-3-2022 15:41:32  #6

Home and just off my work-bench for a cleaning and service.

The duplex pair of belts were slipping upon start-up.  They had a white powdery coating on them (maybe out-gassing) which I clean up with MaxPro Rubber Rejuvenator.  They are now clean and very grippy.

Will order a new set (just a bit smaller in OD) so there is just a bit less slack to the belts when on the pulleys.

This Hermes 10 is quite a remarkable machine.  Very precise, very sure-footed, very fast, and it has a keyboard "touch control" that actually works well.

Plus my aging eyes really appreciate it is Pica size font.

I will clean and polish up the hard case tomorrow.  The bottom of the case has a rigid plastic molded/formed insert to hold the Hermes 10 tight in place.  So it looks like the factory may have had cases available.

04-3-2022 21:03:16  #7

Case cleaned up nicely and just need a dab of touch-up paint here and there.

Case handle base is labelled as "Platt".

And a previous owner placed 3 stick-on, raised plastic letters in gold of "CHO"...maybe a surname or initials...(???)

The bottom, interior of the case has a molded & formed insert which fits the "foot-print of the machine perfectly. 

Two metal (plastic coated) braces just inside the case handle to keep the machine in place and open-foam padding on the inside of the case top to help pad the top of the machine. (leaving the machine's impression in the foam.

04-3-2022 21:43:13  #8

I was having a case of déjà vu about my Hermes 10 case...then I realized I have an almost identical one with my Facit 1840 Electric...with the exception that there is not a "Platt" name-brand on that case.

06-3-2022 10:42:39  #9

So my new variety of belts came in from McMaster-Carr on line.

Tried 2 differing sizes in two differing rubber hardness.

The winner is :

O-ring ...Buna-N, durometer 70A, ~ 4.75" OD (diameter) and 1/8" round (width, thickness).

I tried the 90A hardness of the rubber, but they seemed too stiff and not flexing much at motor/pulley start up.

10-3-2022 09:39:41  #10

As far as "best" machine for me...I would rate them in the following order :

1st. Place - Olympia SGE 35 (with its all metal body works)

2nd. Place - Hermes 10

3rd. Place - Facit 1840  (bit too much plastic used in the mechanics)

But all three (3) machines are very good electrics and none will leave my hoard any time soon.

I also have an Olympia SEP (made in Japan) so does not compete with the others, above, but the SEP is still very enjoyable...being an electric with a manual carriage and CR lever...which still gives a "typing" experience.

Board footera