You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-11-2015 11:53:21  #71

Re: 2015 NaNoWriMo

I'm double spacing my lines to allow for editing and using a typewriter fitted with an elite typeface, so I'm averaging around 280 words per page.

@Janet: We won't tell, but if you were to skip the odd letter and journal entry you'd have a good jump on your story. It's not too late to get started.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-11-2015 15:10:11  #72

I also have yet to get started. On the plus side, I was actually finishing up an actual BOOK that's coming out in December - essays, not fiction - both my publisher and I clearly like a deadline! On the minus side, I thought I could segue from one to the other and instead, after a crazy week getting everything sorted for print, I've collapsed with some sort of flu-like thing. We stayed with friends at the weekend (& I was madly editing and proofing around the edges), and I think I got it from their baby.

But even if I start in a day or two, that's half a nanowrimo more than I could've done.

14-11-2015 09:37:07  #73

Wow! I just looked this up. That's a cool idea and I will definitely participate in 2016... with a year to carefully plan my "spontaneous" novel. 

I have two handicaps:

(1) No OCR software or scanner.
(2) If I were Scheherazade, I would have been dead on the second night.

Of course first is only a handicap so far as using a typewriter is concerned - but what would be the point of being an author if I could not bang it out on a typewriter? Second means I have NO story telling abilities. But I am already thinking of workarounds: nobody said it had to be a GOOD novel.  

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

14-11-2015 12:23:05  #74

I'm doing NaNoWriMo as well! Sorry I'm late to the party, everybody...

I've participated in NaNos before, but never with a typewriter. Between last year and this year is when I got in to typewriters, and now I'm a whole-hearted member of the brigade. My username on NaNo is John Franey. Creative. I know. But I need every ounce of creativity for the story! Which happens to be modern fantasy, a sequel I'm trying to form out of a more traditional fantasy I wrote over the last two years.

I've been primarily using a 1952 Royal Arrow in double-spaced 8 pitch. It works pretty well, but I desperately need some kind of pad underneath, or I start on one end of the desk and end up on the other!

In regards to OCR software (or lack thereof), any scanned image, PDF or .jpg, you can open with Google Docs, and if it's less than 10 pages, it does an OCR conversion on the spot. Free to boot.

14-11-2015 13:14:27  #75

Hello newcomers to nanoland, the more the merrier! No one writes a good novel in november, so go for it with the planning, Repartee.
Jfraney, I'm intrigued by your 8 pitch Royal Arrow, I don't think I've seen or heard of an 8 pitch typeface before. I have one with a 6 pitch, a Smith Corona Classic 12, and I love it, but I'm not using it for nano.

14-11-2015 15:23:09  #76

I've changed typers again, folks. I decided that, since I'm not anywhere near reaching my daily quota of words, I ought to type on a machine that I want to give a workout to. (you should never end a sentence with a preposition, I have learned)   So here is my 1946 Royal KMM, which I purchased at a yard sale this past August. I have oiled it up but it still seems a bit "tight", so I wanted to give it a good workout, and NaNo seems like a good opportunity.

Therefore I am now pounding the keys on this lovely old pica sized newsroom typer which I call the "Headbanger" since it puts up so much vibration in my typing table when I use it. But it is certainly a fast typer! And I love the speed bursts I can put on it without jamming the typebars.
   Cheers to all at the halfway point...

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

14-11-2015 17:42:00  #77

I had to rewatch the episode of the show that my story is supposed to lead up to in order to clarify some things.  But I have been raking leaves all day and am now eating dinner before getting ready to go to the hockey game.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

15-11-2015 21:07:40  #78

malole wrote:

Hello newcomers to nanoland, the more the merrier! No one writes a good novel in november, so go for it with the planning, Repartee.
Jfraney, I'm intrigued by your 8 pitch Royal Arrow, I don't think I've seen or heard of an 8 pitch typeface before. I have one with a 6 pitch, a Smith Corona Classic 12, and I love it, but I'm not using it for nano.

Oops I think 10 is what I meant It's definitely the standard pica, nothing out of the ordinary.

16-11-2015 12:57:23  #79

I've added you to our list and word count chart, John!

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

17-11-2015 14:05:54  #80

I haven't made much progress, but a little is better than not to have started at all.  It's good to get a new story going.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

Board footera