You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-12-2015 15:37:25  #1

An Olivitte Underwood

I have come across an Olivitte Underwood in an antique shop.   As I have three others I am familiar with them, sort of. One is an Olivitte studio 45 inclosed in a beautifully designed casing, turquoise.  Another two toned brown and cream.   The casings are plastic but stylish.   The last is smaller in a metal casing, something 22.  Then all type with a light touch that I love.   But the one in the antique store is different, looks late '50s and more heavily made. The controls are 'heavy metal, no plastic, chrome,  and the carriage runs on rails that are different--not visible from the top.   It has a more solid feel.   The question is, was that Olivitte's top design for professional use?   The price is $65; is it worth it, or could it be found cheaper?   It comes in a cream colored carrying case , stylish.

30-11-2016 18:49:43  #2

Re: An Olivitte Underwood

Now I couldn't say as to whether or not one or the other was designed for professional office duty, although I have seen lesser typewriters in an office setting (possibly just to address envelopes and other light work).  But I can tell you that portables of any kind aren't quite made up to the kind of long and arduous duty performed by standard, or upright, designs.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

30-11-2016 18:51:20  #3

Oh, I almost forgot:  I've been plowing through the old unanswereds, so I'm doing this for the benefit for others who tread here also.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

01-12-2016 09:57:00  #4

Seems a little pointless to respond to the original poster's questions at this relatively late date, but I understand your intent, TypewriterKing, and it's a good one, since others can benefit.

I think the machine the OP is describing is the Studio 44, which indeed is a bigger item than the small Lettera models. It's portable, but on the large side. It does have a different, rather heavy, touch, which is a little hard to get used to. But in terms of materials and construction it's really topnotch, and quite stylish.

But Olivetti did make a true office standard machine, the Lexicon 80 (I think that's the number), which is a big, curvy looking thing. I've only seen them in pictures, but would love to try one out. They seem to be pretty uncommon in the USA.

Board footera