You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-1-2016 16:40:24  #1

Missing pinion teeth

My Underwood Noiseless just seems to take beating after beating. Not long after I found out that the frame on the back was cracked in three places (fixed it with JB Weld steelstick), I saw that two of the teeth of the escapement pinion are missing!

I started freaking out because now I had a parts machine. However, it still works as if nothing was wrong. It seems like because the teeth are so small, that it can compensate for itself. But should I be worried? I don't want a dead typewriter on my hands, but it seems alright.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

14-1-2016 22:31:51  #2

Re: Missing pinion teeth

Good photographs, ztyper. My 1940 Underwood Noiseless Standard doesn't look like that. So I can't tell you anything. Besides, I haven't gotten mine working yet. But let us know what happens!

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

15-1-2016 21:04:44  #3

Okay, I found it. I got to putting the shift assembly back on today and I saw the pinion gear that your picture shows. It's just not where I expected it. Here's what I've got on my 1940 Underwood Noiseless:

Yeah, your machine must have led a rough life if the cast iron case is broken and the pinion gear is missing teeth. That's sure gonna cause a problem in operation right there.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

15-1-2016 23:47:08  #4

If the machine had a cracked frame, presumably from an impact of some kind, it shouldn't really come as a surprise that a couple of teeth were also sheared off.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-1-2016 23:58:02  #5

It's not surprising that a few are missing. What is surprising is that it still works like nothing is wrong. Not really sure how, but sure as hell not complaining.

A high schooler with a lot of typewriters. That's pretty much about it.

Board footera