You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2016 13:20:53  #41

Re: SG Owners Club

So what does SG stand for? 

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

03-2-2016 13:39:21  #42

I'm not German so my spelling comes from memory only, but I believe it stands for "schreibmaschinen grosse", or something pretty close to that.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

03-2-2016 14:21:53  #43

Welcome to the SG club, Captain Spencer! Nice SG at a nice price! How about a type sample of that typeface you like so much?

colrehogan wrote:

So what does SG stand for? 

Olympia used three model designators for a number of years: SF, SM, and SG.

SF = Schreibmaschine Flach (flat typewriter - what we call an ultra-portable)
SM = Schriebmaschine Mittelgross (medium large typewriter - what we call a portable)
SG = Schreibmaschine Gross (large typewriter - what we call a standard)

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-3-2016 14:52:22  #44

I guess I'm in the club now..

My blog - Just Typewriters

07-3-2016 15:14:14  #45

mre12ax7 wrote:

I guess I'm in the club now..

C'mon in, the water is fine and there's plenty of room. Drinks are usually served around 17:00.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

08-3-2016 20:59:19  #46

Nice Speed Graphic in the background there mre12ax7!

18-3-2016 13:43:28  #47

Newly purchased SG1!!!!!!!!

Gosh, I've been through many portables that I've since lost count of how many. This is my first standard purchase. I'm San Diego and a friend (now bumped up to a great friend  )  was willing to pick it up for me until I'm able to find the time to drive up to Los Angeles. Seller was asking $145 just for the typewriter which was displayed on a typing stand. We finally agreed on $90 for both they typewriter and typewriter stand. It was sitting in a video producer's office unused. Apparently their company's designer bought it for display for a video production. He says that it works but the keys are sticky. Bonus, it has the plastic paper support. Crossing my typing fingers that there are no major problems. I'm sooo excited!
I would attach a pic but new to this board. It looks like I can only attach a pic via link? 

18-3-2016 13:45:19  #48

You have to have 3 posts in order to post a picture and yes you have to host the picture elsewhere.  There is an FAQ about posting pictures.

18-3-2016 13:46:13  #49

It is in the Type Talk section.

18-3-2016 13:51:54  #50

Thanks, I always try to do a search before asking. I just saw one about Flicker. I'll have to look deeper although I don't have an online site. 

Board footera