You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-2-2016 21:14:20  #11

Re: "B" Key Doesn't Make Full Impression on Manual Typewriter

Sorry for this late update, but I did speak with the repair guy. He wanted a hundred bucks for the repair, and it wouldn't even be through his doing--he was going to have "his guy" repair the slug for me. Well, I only got this typewriter for ten bucks at a thrift store, so I'm not throwing down 100 for a slug repair. My friend has a torch and solders things as a natural hobby. He and I are going to wing it together, see how it turns out. It'll be fun. Thanks for everyone who offered their opinions though! It is a soldering job, as some of you suspected, but this will be interesting.

04-2-2016 03:15:48  #12

Godspeed!

04-2-2016 06:31:58  #13

It shouldn't be to hard, considering that the slug did not even fly off, so theres still a little bonding left (I think).
Im no expert solderer, but I'm assuming you should move the slug back all the way, and put a streak of solder on the back.

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

04-2-2016 06:35:18  #14

I'm glad you*re going to try it yourself. That's one of the real pleasures of this hobby is when you can make something work again by your own efforts. And the beauty of it is... you're only out ten bucks if you really screw it up! It's worth the attempt. And if it works, then you know how to do that the next time. It's an education that is well worth the price.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

04-2-2016 13:06:48  #15

Well said, treefaller! That's how I see it as well. If it's a 10 dollar investment, why not experiment and see what you can accomplish on your own?!

Board footera