You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-2-2016 18:46:21  #21

Re: Ode to IBM

A lot of talk so far has been about the switch, so here's my two cents in about the switches on a Selectric:  They gum up on the inside and have to be taken apart and cleaned.  In fact, usually the first thing to do with a Selectric, especially if it's been sitting a little while collecting dust is to soak it in some form of cleaner--I usually use diesel.  It's solvent enough to dissolve old grease and grime.  Then, a good careful air blowing and towel drying should do most of what it would need to bring the machine back to life, unless there is another issue, such as print alignment or if the element carrier doesn't return, like what usually happens.  But be careful making adjustments on a Selectric.  One adjustment can be all it takes to throw the whole thing out of kilter.  I've put in enough tilt and rotate tapes to testify to that.  Oh, and if you pull that long shaft out for any reason, always BE SURE YOU MATCH-MARK ALL YOUR GEARS!!  You will have a misaligned mess if you don't.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-4-2016 22:25:41  #22

Switching gears but still on IBM electrics, I have been confused whether a machine I own is a model "B" or "11c". 

According to the IBM serial # database at

http://typewriterdatabase.com/ibm.69.typewriter-serial-number-database

my machine is a 1958 model B standard, and there is no mention of a model "11c" anywhere, which seems conclusive and tends to an explanation that the model "11c" is a fiction based on something which looks like a model # but is not.  But about 1/4 of the way down

http://www.mrmartinweb.com/type.htm

which at least looks like it was put together by a careful collector, there is a photo of a "B" and a very similar looking "11c" side by side (or top by bottom), with reference to some other site which looks like it was put together by careful collectors! So if an error it does not seem to be a simpleton error.

Taking another look at the database page I see "model codes" which apparently are not the same as the models for publicity purposes, which explains that a code "11" is a "Standard model A", whereas a Standard Model B would be a code "12". Which one never seems to see - and neither is there any mention of a code "11c".

But - finally tilting the machine up - I find a silver and black sticker on the bottom which clearly identifies it as a model "11 C" (sic)! So both B and 11 C seem equally well attested, not to be confused with the "Model C", which is a completely externally redesigned and more modern looking typewriter. I'm sure to stir up some animosity when I conjecture that the IBM typewriter division was so infested by a spirit of deliberate oolification and obscurity that they themselves were not certain, but of course nobody would admit this.

The "11 C" vs. "11c" thing at least shows the conservative and insecure nature of oolification, since those who feel the 11 code thing is the correct version always seem to write it "11c", whereas the tag I have clearly shows the other style. So the insecure ollifier seeing some particular juxtaposition of cases and spaces faithfully copies this with an air of everybody knowing that was the correct form whereas this all may stem back to one sloppy transcription of the tag.

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

15-4-2016 15:35:14  #23

IBM were a very strange firm.  They did seem to apply their own model numbers which were different to what the machines were called 'commercially'.  I think that these numbers also sometimes denoted which factory and which country the machine was made in.  Often, there were two or three different variants of any given mechanism in any one model, making ordering spare parts a nightmare.  IBM really wanted their own engineers to look after their typewriters, and wouldn't supply more than a handful of spare parts at a time to the typewriter trade generally.  It must have killed them when their policy changed with the advent of the electronic typewriter range.  They then started to appoint dealers and had to TRAIN outside engineers to repair their products !

15-4-2016 17:54:49  #24

thetypewriterman wrote:

IBM were a very strange firm.  They did seem to apply their own model numbers which were different to what the machines were called 'commercially'.  I think that these numbers also sometimes denoted which factory and which country the machine was made in.  Often, there were two or three different variants of any given mechanism in any one model, making ordering spare parts a nightmare.  IBM really wanted their own engineers to look after their typewriters, and wouldn't supply more than a handful of spare parts at a time to the typewriter trade generally.  It must have killed them when their policy changed with the advent of the electronic typewriter range.  They then started to appoint dealers and had to TRAIN outside engineers to repair their products !

Thank you, typewriterman. I have a working theory, although I remember very well how in the past you have shot down my theories <smile>

1) 11 C was an internal model number used by the engineering folks
2)  When the machines got to the marketing department or an ad agency they in effect said "Are you guys nuts? Who the heck wants an "11 C"?  So the consumer facing models used in their ads were born.
3)  When they built the "11 C" they vastly over ordered the stickers, so that the supposed internal model of every electric for years afterwards was "11 C"!

11 C or 11c seems to be the only alternative model you encounter and they can't ALL be 11 C's. When they had to order spare parts they went by the serial number. But I say I have an IBM B Standard and I'm sticking with it.

16-4-2016 13:38:34  #25

OK, a maintenance question. I've started to put my IBM model B to some serious use and the question arises not just whether I will reach my goal but whether it will.

The motor sound which I might characterize as "whirawhirawhira..." is prominent but not alarming. What does concern me is some light squeaking while the typewriter is idling, which may or may not be getting worse. It seems to be coming from some part rotating at a different and lower rpm than the motor. This makes me realize that as impressive as it is the model B is it is a complex piece of motorized machinery which almost certainly needs some preventative maintenance to continue working indefinitely, and I have no idea what needs to be done... Sigh.

16-4-2016 21:00:30  #26

On my model B's I have taken off the covers (it's pretty easy to do) and oiled the bearings for the two belt pulleys on the left side. I also had to very carefully put a drop of gun oil on one of the cam mechanisms, the one for the ribbon advance, because it would start chattering uncontrollably every once in awhile. Be careful not to get any oil whatsoever on the "power roll".
   Mine makes a regular ticking noise as the power roll goes around. I have located the source as being something in the carriage return clutch on the right side. So I'm going to live with that since I have no intention of trying to take that thing apart. I understand that the sound you don't want to ever hear is a flapping sound because it means that the rubber cover on the power roll is torn and is starting to come off.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

16-4-2016 21:39:37  #27

Thank you for that, treefaller. I will do as you suggest, and maybe I will be lucky enough that this is the source of the squeaking. I noticed the power roller - looks like an internal platen - and seems to be in excellent shape, so maybe I can hope for many hundred thousand word screeds.

I assume the long toothed belt under the carriage is going to fail at some point. Would be no big deal when there were spare parts and IBM technicians roaming the land!

19-4-2016 04:56:54  #28

In the very remote chance anybody is interested here is a mechanical progress report on a screeding project on the IBM model B electric, 5% of the way to the goal:

* Left margin has started bouncing - this may only be because I picked up speed and not a fresh mechanical issue, but the left margin has started roaming a space to either side of the set point when typing rapidly. When slowing down it stays put.

* Paper has started slipping - this started halfway down a page after several dense pages typed in the same platen position. The line spacing went first as the paper was not advancing fully, then the paper began rotating with each carriage return. It goes without saying that the platen is hard but until this I had not realized just how hard: running my hand along it is like running my hand down a smooth stone cylinder!

I found another sweet spot for the paper position for now where it continues to advance evenly, and I did experiment with the copy control (I think it's called), though that did not seem to make any difference. As for the first I've tried waiting a deliberate half second or so after each return, but what fun is that when your screeding powers are sprinting? It breaks the concentration.

This just reminds me we live in a post-typocalypic world, using writing machines among the ruins.

22-4-2016 22:26:55  #29

I fixed the wandering left margin. The first and greatest repair technique is to find the deranged mechanism, look at it and prod it with your finger. There are competing explanations for the effectiveness of this technique:

(1) you have dislodged a small piece of debris
(2) the mechanism was stuck out of normal position and you popped it back in
(3) you show it you know where it lives so it stops messing around
(4) it pleases Hermes Tachimetypus, god of fleet typing

If I can locate and quash the squeaking I shall again worship at its rubber feet and bring it offerings of fresh paper and ribbons!

07-5-2016 08:49:58  #30

Does anybody know if the IBM electrics with the side magazines can be made to use ordinary ribbons?

Board footera