You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-3-2013 16:59:15  #1

What type of a collector are you?

Nice to see a new typewriter forum on the web!

Ever since I got into typewriters and read through countless blogs on the internet, I was struck by the diversity of the collections and collectors out there. I imagine that most people visiting this forum would be fairly serious collectors, or maybe not?

So what type of a typewriter person are you? And what brought you to this forum?

I own a few machines, but from this point forward I'll only consider buying those that are really exotic to me. After all, this is one hobby that puts your storage space to the test.

How serious is your typewriter interest?

16-3-2013 01:16:17  #2

Re: What type of a collector are you?

I'm still waiting for my 1st "Real" typewriter in 30 years to arrive -  who knows what this might start?

One who learned to type BEFORE typewriters were electric

16-3-2013 01:57:25  #3

HaroldB wrote:

I'm still waiting for my 1st "Real" typewriter in 30 years to arrive -  who knows what this might start?

Given your location Harold I would hope that your incoming typer is an Olympia. 

This poll is revealing an interesting mix of members here, which is a good thing. It should lead to some interesting conversations.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-3-2013 20:42:21  #4

Well, the little Brother (Japanese ?) 100 Correction arrived in dirty but otherwise good shape.  Once I put a new ink tape, I can see how well it really types.
My main interest is having working manual "writing machines" should the power go off for more than a couple days.  Being able to communicate to neighbors/community via the typed word, not my scribble handwriting. 

So, not your regular collector.   But, since I love things mechanical, I may be hooked.

I've got a 1954'ish Smith Corona Super Silent 5 on it's way now

One who learned to type BEFORE typewriters were electric

22-3-2013 23:42:59  #5

I'm a user-collector/new collector. I don't see myself owning more than two typewriters. One portable, one standard. I have the portable. Now I need a standard...

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

23-3-2013 11:01:10  #6

HaroldB wrote:

So, not your regular collector.   But, since I love things mechanical, I may be hooked.
I've got a 1954'ish Smith Corona Super Silent 5 on it's way now

Shangas wrote:

I don't see myself owning more than two typewriters. One portable, one standard.

Good luck with the self-discipline guys. 

I bought my first one on a lark.

Researching its history brought other models to my attention, and before I knew it I was scouring online ads for another one. The second typer almost immediately lead to a third, and then I bought another four in one shot from a collector who was clearing out inventory.

And now? I just bought my 20th typewriter this morning from a house contents sale. I know there are collectors out there who would call me a lightweight; I've met two in person who claimed to have well over 100 each. 

Who knows where it will stop, but I'm already thinking of selling a few redundant models to make some room.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

27-3-2013 15:27:27  #7

I got my ninth typer before I stopped. They were all free so I wasn't out any money. I've since sold four Royals, one I now wish I would have waited on but I did replace it with a 'better' Royal Quiet De Luxe. I also have an electric Royal Apollo 10. I think that is going to do it for me. I still have three others in 'hiding' in case I decide to collector or needed trading material. Don't get me wrong, if the right typer comes along I will jump on it whatever the price may be. I want to get a pink one for my daughter. I'd love to find a red one to match my stapler. I can see myself owning four of them total. Right now I am saving money to buy a very nice desk in or around the $1000 range. I really don't want to buy some pressboard junk so I think I'll hit an Amish store tomorrow when I'm off and see what I can get in that price range. Maybe I can just get a kitchen table and modify it but I want an office desk.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

27-3-2013 21:44:37  #8

Hemingway wrote:

I am saving money to buy a very nice desk in or around the $1000 range. I really don't want to buy some pressboard junk so I think I'll hit an Amish store tomorrow when I'm off and see what I can get in that price range. Maybe I can just get a kitchen table and modify it but I want an office desk.

Off topic: Have you considered an antique oak typewriter desk? There always seem to be plenty of them up for sale in my area - someone listed one today for free - and they usually run in the $100 to $300 range. The big bonus is that most are designed to hold (and conceal) a typer.

27-3-2013 22:27:08  #9

Right on Bro! Thanks Uwe.

Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes. This way if you're right you will have a headstart and they will be barefoot.

22-5-2015 15:25:47  #10

Eehhhh, Id say a serious collector (:

Back from a long break.

Starting fresh with my favorite typer. A Royal Futura!

Board footera