You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-4-2016 18:25:15  #1

How Much Do You Type?

I remember a thread about if you could choose just ONE typewriter, which one would it be?  How much one types was considered.  I think it would be very interesting to find out just how much we use our typewriters--whatever machine we are in the mood to use at the moment.  Me, I average about 7 to 8 double-spaced pages a week now.  I used to type a lot more than that when I was in high school and collage, but with the responsibilities of life taking priority, I had to cut back.  Most of these pages are love letters to my girlfriend.
So, how much do you type?  Do you type just enough to check to see if a typewriter is working properly?  Are you the occasional typist who types letters and recipes?  How about High School or College research papers and dissertations?  Do you type for a business or government office?  How about anyone working on a book or novel?  If you're doing the last three, you're doing some serious paper-pounding.

How Much Do You Type?

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

14-6-2016 02:10:22  #2

Re: How Much Do You Type?

Nowhere near enough.

Pleased to meet you. Call me Nathan.

14-6-2016 06:54:46  #3

Whenever I find time to do it, and in the end it can be quite a lot some days.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

14-6-2016 08:37:41  #4

You don't have a choice that fits for me.  After I started collecting, I was looking for a reason to use them, so I started pen-palling.  I write 2-3 letters a week, usually about 3-4 pages per letter.  I also type up other stuff, recipes, lists, and sometimes I just sit down and practice typing from a book.

14-6-2016 12:10:04  #5

Pity only six people took part. I wonder if some are using their typewriters for some clandestine purpose they don't want anyone to know about. I always try to use all of mine about once a month or so but then I don't have that many machines to start with. I use a typewriter around four or so times a week, anything from just typing an envelope to writing the odd article.

15-6-2016 04:33:18  #6

Don't have a choice that fits me ditto, but more than I did six months ago and as much as possible. Instead of flitting around multiple machines like a mayfly I try to use one machine long enough now to feel I know it at least well enough to know if I could stand a long term relationship, and what kind of work it might be suited for. A side benefit of typing more is that you become more proficient and the process becomes more pleasant and faster! I call this startling insight "practice". 

"Damn the torpedoes! Four bells, Captain Drayton".

15-6-2016 12:38:56  #7

There, I voted.  The problem is that I could say that I do both of the items that are showing as having votes.   Anyway, I spend a lot of time at work on the computer.  Typing (whether it is for pen pal letters or for short stories) happens in the evenings.  I have found that I enjoy it too.  I have used one or two machines for a while now, but when I switch to a different one, it doesn't take long to get back into that machine's rhythm.

Smith Premier typewriters are cool!

15-6-2016 16:09:43  #8

Spazmelda wrote:

You don't have a choice that fits for me.  After I started collecting, I was looking for a reason to use them, so I started pen-palling.  I write 2-3 letters a week, usually about 3-4 pages per letter.  I also type up other stuff, recipes, lists, and sometimes I just sit down and practice typing from a book.

I did a "How Much Do You Type II" because of this very problem.  I didn't have enough categories to choose from.  And even in my repertoire, there are many more categories--It's just that my pore ol' haid can't think of that many at once.  There is also one I just thought of I used for years:  Typing just because it makes my fingers feel good.

15-6-2016 16:11:49  #9

retro wrote:

Pity only six people took part. I wonder if some are using their typewriters for some clandestine purpose they don't want anyone to know about. I always try to use all of mine about once a month or so but then I don't have that many machines to start with. I use a typewriter around four or so times a week, anything from just typing an envelope to writing the odd article.

There weren't enough categories in this thread, so I did a second thread on this one, and instead left the voting out of it.  I also allowed for many more things one could type on a typewriter--clandestine or otherwise.  Typing in secret is fun too!

16-6-2016 06:23:48  #10

TypewriterKing wrote:

Typing in secret is fun too!

Hard to do so! If I try to do that, people start wondering what´s that damned drilling noise coming from where I am.

TaktaktataktaktakcluccluctaktaktaktaktakDINGtaktaktaktakCREEEEEEEEECtaktaktak...

(Olivetti Linea 98)

Board footera