You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-8-2016 18:52:51  #11

Re: Ribbon not dropping back down

Cleaning is important, and so is lubrication. Get some gun oil or sewing machine oil. Those are silicone based lubricants and won't get gummy after a few years like petroleum based lubricants will. Then I recommend a wooden fondue skewer about six inches long to apply a drop of the gun oil at any point you see metal sliding against metal. Work it back and forth a few time with your finger. Gravity ought to make the vibrator drop back down by itself.
   On my Touchmaster Five I also had to oil the ribbon reverse "pop out" arms in each spool to get them to work smoothly. I also put a drop of oil in each slot of the type segment (despite some who advise leaving that to run dry) . Basically, with a flashlight in one hand and a wooden skewer with a drop of oil on the end, I just go through all the insides of the machine, working keys and any other moving part, oiling any joints and especially sliding parts.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

21-8-2016 20:15:44  #12

Relatively few parts of a typewriter should be oiled, and I don't like bringing oiling into the conversation until everything has been properly cleaned first AND the part(s) are moving properly on their own. Too many neophytes try to use oil as a repair method and don't realize the importance of removing dirt and old oil first.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

21-8-2016 20:24:27  #13

Thanks guys. I've found the culprit. When I turned the machine over, I noticed this little spring on the left side of the machine was no longer attached. This pulls the vibrator back down.

https://goo.gl/photos/pjFv9zByS88dHfN86

21-8-2016 20:28:48  #14

Okay, here's the picture: 

21-8-2016 20:34:02  #15

Now, I have a few more questions:

- Some keys (like the "o") punch holes sometimes in the paper. A good ribbon would probably stop this form happening, correct?
- The machines types a little heavy, and I'm sure some more cleaning could solve it. Some parts are really hard to reach though. Are there parts I can remove easily (other than the front cover and side covers) that would allow more access to the inside of the machine? Would it be doable to remove the platen? What are some good cleaning techniques, other that the ol' toothbrush?
- I've seen enough machinery that doesn't run because it gets too greasy, so I'm staying away form oiling for a while. Again, after reading Uwe's post up there, I think it might be better to let it sit dry, especially if I'm not goinn to use it very often. 

22-8-2016 11:11:39  #16

Schop wrote:

Some keys (like the "o") punch holes sometimes in the paper. A good ribbon would probably stop this form happening, correct?

Incorrect. You might end up punching holes through the ribbon too. Odds are your platen is very hard; try using a backing sheet (or two) and see if that makes a difference. Have you cleaned the type slugs yet?

Schop wrote:

The machines types a little heavy, and I'm sure some more cleaning could solve it. Some parts are really hard to reach though. Are there parts I can remove easily (other than the front cover and side covers) that would allow more access to the inside of the machine? Would it be doable to remove the platen?

I would keep it simple at this point. I assume when you say it types heavy that you're talking about the type action?On the left side of the machine above the keyboard is a lever that moves up and down. That's the touch control and adjusting it might help lighten the feel a little. Concentrate your cleaning on the segment (the plate with the slots under the ribbon vibrator), and all the linkages and other pivot points for the type bars and keys. Putting the machine on its back will give you good access to most of them. As I mentioned before, all you need is cotton swabs (Q-Tips) and mineral spirits. Do NOT oil the segment!

Schop wrote:

I've seen enough machinery that doesn't run because it gets too greasy, so I'm staying away form oiling for a while.

You mostly only need very light oil anyway, sewing machine oil is ideal, and only after the parts are working well when cleaned and "dry". I've bought too many machines over the years that were saturated with oil because the person selling them was convinced that the solution to a non-working typewriter was that it needed to be oiled. A Media 3 that I recently bought was so bad that it was dripping oil and I had to dunk clean it before I could even think about working on its numerous problems.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera