You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-9-2016 20:06:55  #21

Re: 1914 Remington model 10 restore to working?

Good questions Uwe. I already thought of the first one, about the type font size. But I figured that any 'e" letter would be better than none. Nevertheless I wasn't sure about the size for awhile. The index rail on the typer showed that it should be pica. But I've seen those lie before. So I did a little sample sheet with a couple of typers that I have and I put some carbon paper on the sample sheet and tapped on the back of the type slug to get an impression. In my opinion, it looks like this is, indeed, pica sized.

On the other question, though, I have to admit I didn't consider it. It never occurred to me that he might be intending to re-solder the slug on the existing type bar. I wouldn't try it myself. There's just so many things that can go wrong. I wouldn't even attempt to "de-solder" the existing slug to get it off.  So I guess I'll just send the whole type bar with slug on it to him and let him figure out the best way to repair his machine.

Bangin' around, this dirty old town, typin' for nickels and dimes...

06-9-2016 12:10:40  #22

Re: 1914 Remington model 10 restore to working?

Hi treefaller

First of all, thank you very much for Your help With the typebar.
I have measured the font of my typewriter and it is 10 chars/inch, so that would be pica size.
From Your typesample it seems like the "e" you have is a Perfect match. 

I would like the entire typebar, as you pictured. I belive it would be the most easy way for me to replace the entire bar.
(I just mentioned that if the typebar was entire impossible to remove, i would try a resolder of the slug as an last resort. Althoug resoldering a typeslug would be a totally different adventure..)

The screw holding my broken typebar is not stuck, i have tried to turn it, and it is possible to unscrew it. What i do not know yet is how much work it would be to get the old bar out, and the New in. Time will show.

I have sendt you an private Message With my information.

Once again, Thank you very very much for Your help treefeller.

Rune

Board footera