You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-10-2016 17:08:11  #11

Re: Going rate for an upstroke typewriter?

Oh it does, haven't you heard.  They just grow 'em in the better parts of town, in those gated communities where they don't let plebs like me in to see them.

Underwood--Speeds the World's Bidness

10-11-2016 04:39:30  #12

I don't know....despite its rarity, I suspect this is real rust bucket that looks like it was a long time in a damp environment; the interior might be far beyond restoration...There are other, better typewriters to be found
for this $100 ? or put it differently - it might cost you many hundreds more to make it even partially work....

10-11-2016 15:31:13  #13

I did get a different upstroke--a Smith Premier No. 4--recently for well under $100. The Caligraph linked above is still listed. The owner re-posts it every few days, just to taunt me I think. I've called him twice and offered my top dollar of $150, but he's twice hurried off to do something else, vowing to call me back, which of course he never has. Kind of a jerk move, if you ask me. 

10-11-2016 17:20:25  #14

He's probably doing it so you will get anxious and want to up your offer.  I've seen people do this before.  He's trying to maximize his take.  Wait him out instead.

10-11-2016 23:21:01  #15

Yeah, we'll see what happens. Of course it's a buyer's market, and patience certainly pays. 

Quick anecdote from a separate listing: I saw an old L.C. Smith that looked to be in good shape under 50 years of dust. The owner listed it for $50. I said I'd be in it for around $30. He held firm at $50, and I gave him a standing offer: if he ever wanted to get rid of it at $30, look me up. And that'd be fine if it all ended right there. But the typewriter languished on Craigslist for months with no takers. Eventually, the owner re-listed it for $30. So I contacted him again, saying that I'd still happily pay the $30 he was asking. But despite the advertised price, he said that for me, it'd still be $50. 

People are jerks sometimes. 
More so recently, it seems. 

11-11-2016 00:26:56  #16

Get a friend to contact him in your place, then pick it up for $30. For desert, send him an email thanking him for the typewriter at the price you wanted to pay...

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-11-2016 19:14:30  #17

Markmotown wrote:

Yeah, we'll see what happens. Of course it's a buyer's market, and patience certainly pays. 

Quick anecdote from a separate listing: I saw an old L.C. Smith that looked to be in good shape under 50 years of dust. The owner listed it for $50. I said I'd be in it for around $30. He held firm at $50, and I gave him a standing offer: if he ever wanted to get rid of it at $30, look me up. And that'd be fine if it all ended right there. But the typewriter languished on Craigslist for months with no takers. Eventually, the owner re-listed it for $30. So I contacted him again, saying that I'd still happily pay the $30 he was asking. But despite the advertised price, he said that for me, it'd still be $50. 

People are jerks sometimes. 
More so recently, it seems. 

Yes, people sometimes are jerks.  But you know, it's the jerks of the world (the liars, the thieves, the grumps, and, dare I say it--the keychoppers--ugh!) that teach us all a valuable lesson:  How not to be; what not to do; Setting a bad example for the rest of us to avoid.  Jerks are never happy.  They want to infect the rest of the world with their unhappiness.  It's like drinking a bottle of poison and expecting the rest of the world to get a tummyache.  Take the lesson, remember it when the next jerk that comes along, and sidestep this malefactor and his/her game. 

Board footera